News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Engel vs "Keel Cooler"

Started by JWalker, January 15, 2012, 09:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWalker

Morgan and I have been discussing the eventuality of getting an engel. We are not so much stuck on refrigeration, as a freezer.

However I've lately been hearing more about "keel coolers" such as isotherm and frigoboat make.

I'd like to hear any thought and numerical comparisons, energy draw, and cost considerations,
and especially anyone who has actual use with the keel kooler

Anyone care to chime in?

Like maybe Dave? (SV Auspicious) ;D

mitiempo

I helped install a frigoboat with the keel cooler on a Westsail 32. It worked well but was expensive. not sure about the amp draw but it is a lot more than my Engel, which I love.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

David_Old_Jersey

No first hand experiance of either - but am in pretty much the same position as you, trying to puzzle out what is best (for the buck).

FWIW, I have decided to go Engel. Just haven't bought one yet! (I don't liveaboard).

My thinking is that consumption is at least well within the ballpark, that they have a top name on reliability - coupled with the fact that the Engel (I presume you are talking portable version!) can be used away from the boat, doesn't have to get sold with the boat (no plans, but.....) and that if I ever decide that Keel Cooled / built in was the way to go could always E-bay the Engel.......but for me the clincher on the deal was that I realised that with a portable Engel it could be moved around the boat according to use (in port / at sea) - and even stowed away if not used.....whilst still retaining the cupboard space that a built in Fridge / Freezer would use. (at 30' boat bigger than some, but nonetheless space always an issue!).

Plus, to be honest, I didn't fancy building a Fridge / Freezer installation (aka couldn't be arsed!).