News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New Found Metals portlights

Started by Rick Westlake, March 02, 2012, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Westlake

I have finally completed my major winter project, the replacement of all the old deadlights on my Bristol 29.9 "Halcyon" with New Found Metals stainless-steel portlights. It was an expensive purchase and a lot of work, but the new portlights are WONDERFUL.

I spent over $3000 to replace all ten portlights. That was four 3x10 portlights for the V-berth and the head, and six 7x15 portlights for the main cabin; plus butyl rope caulk for the installation, templates for cutting out the new ports (refundable), a counterbore for cutting the 3/8" holes in the template out to the 5/8" size needed for the outer frames, plus teak "spacer frames" and screens.  It was a helluva lot of money, but now that the job is done I think it was money well spent!

The NFM portlights are good enough that Cabo Rico uses them on their boats, BTW. They're made in China, supposedly of USA-made 304 stainless steel, and 10mm tempered glass. They're heavy and sturdy as heck, and I believe they're stronger than the cabin-sides where I installed them.  The teak "spacer" frames were recommended because the cabin-top bulkheads are about 3/8" thick - otherwise I'd have the spigots sticking way out as a toe-stubbing and shin-barking hazard when I go up on deck.

Installation wasn't necessarily easy, but it was straightforward. I used the directions that Maine Sail has on his website, and they were very thorough, very clear and very do-able. It took me roughly one warm winter afternoon for each portlight, up until the last day when I installed two of 'em.

Something I would recommend to anyone who wants to install these - forget about using polyether caulk (LifeCalk) on the edges of the outside frames. I decided to use Maine Sail's light-gray butyl tape after the fourth portlight; butyl tape stays sticky forever, after all, and elongates for any flexing.

These new portlights look SO much better than the old aluminum-framed portlights that I replaced! They clamp in very much in the same fashion, though, and that outer-and-inner-frame construction leaves me feeling very confident that they'll be solid and secure for as long as I own Halcyon.  But I'm thinking most fondly of how it will feel, during the warm summer nights to come, when I can open them up and have plenty of ventilation in my cabin.  I believe it will make a wonderful difference....

Sunset

Rick I was planning on using NFM ports also in my new build. I cant decide between the stainless and brass. I like the bronze stuff when its clean and shining or when its green.
I sure didnt know they were made in china.

Sunset
84 Islander 28

jotruk

I have six installed on my hunter they can be a pain to put in but very nice in appearance and they self seal and do not leak
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Mario G

I also replaced our 10 ports with tne NFM composite & stainless ports, I wanted to keep a more original look on our Endeavour. The installation wasn't bad, and because we paid for them at the Miami boat show we saved a few hundred,

jotruk

I replaced all of my ports on my hunter and really like the out come would highly recommend them to anyone
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Bubba the Pirate

I replaced six portlights on my Cape Dory 28 with NFM composite/stainless ports.  I like them a lot.  Good company to work with.  I made my own template after disagreeing with theirs.  They re-checked their template and didn't agree with me - which is fine.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cruiser2B

I am thinking off adding 2 8" Bronze NFM to the cabin bulkhead in the cockpit. My alber need some ventialtion, anyone use the unit specifically?  Thanks

www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail