News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Slacklines as jacklines

Started by Oldrig, March 08, 2012, 08:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rorik

I'm about to add 2 bronze pad eyes to the aft end of the coach roof to match the 2 at the forward end. The 2 pieces of 4400# breaking strength 1" webbing will be clipped on at the aft end, run through and around the forward pad eyes and tie off at the deck cleats. This gives me 4 jack lines that are about 7' or 8' long.
My 2 tethers are only 4' long so I can stand upright, but they won't reach to the lifelines.
In the cockpit is a folding pad eye on the forward face. I can reach from there to the coach roof with ease.
I'll try to remember to post pics when I get it done.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

s/v necessity

Loose Moose had a blog entry (great blog btw), with a link, a day or two ago on the subject (http://boatbits.blogspot.com/)  So I thought I would put in a plug for it here.

Here is the direct link: http://smallboatprojects.blogspot.com/2012/03/climbing-gear-for-tethers.html

While this particular post is on tethers,  It looks like he has other posts on using climbing gear, and one on jack lines in particular.

w00dy

I bought 150' of tubular webbing for slacklining and ended up using it as jacklines on my boat. Worked well and didn't roll under the feet when stepped on.

Also, something I noticed about webbing: when wet, the tightest knots loosen easily. Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Yabut- did you note the caution?

"Caution: The Water Knot has been reported to slip a little after cyclical low loading using some types of webbing. "

By the way, the animated knots site is really neat- I've perused it often.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 20, 2012, 11:10:54 AM
Yabut- did you note the caution?

"Caution: The Water Knot has been reported to slip a little after cyclical low loading using some types of webbing. "

By the way, the animated knots site is really neat- I've perused it often.

Yes but"slip a little" is a whole lot better than other knots fair with webbing
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward