cutting a larger used mainsail down to size?

Started by sailorjoey, March 26, 2012, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailorjoey

Hello all, great website here! I'm currently refitting my 1975 s2 8.0A. I bought it without a mainsail. The dimensions are 26' luff and 9' foot, with slugs to the mast and bolt rope to boom. I have found quite a few j22 sails used out there with good dimensions but no slugs and a loose foot. Would I be able to modify a j22 sail economically to make it work? Thanks for your responses!

CharlieJ

That's what we did on Necessity, many years ago. Cut it down from the foot, should do fine..
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: sailorjoey on March 26, 2012, 04:29:24 PM

good dimensions but no slugs and a loose foot.

Welcome Aboard Sailfar!

Just to throw it out there, lots of folks (me included eventually) are going to loose footed mains on cruising boats.  The "opinion" on it varies, but it seems to be becoming more popular, even with sailmakers.  Port Townsend Sails, for example, recommends it on cruising boats.

So, if you think that might be up your alley, that eliminates a step in the modifications you'd have to make to that sail.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain