News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

livingaboard mag

Started by Sunset, March 26, 2012, 08:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunset

I love this mag, but I heard they were going to 4 issues a year and it would be in part of Lats&Adds on those issues. Anyone know any thing about this or is it just pelican droppings from the dock? I have a 3 or 4 year subscription so I don't know how that will play out. Hope non of this is true, I read this mag totally.
84 Islander 28

Capt. Tony

I have never heard of livingaboard magazine before, but, it sounds like something I'd like to take a look at.  Sure hope they don't reduce printings on ya.  They'd more likely than not swing you a refund or subscription extension.  If there's any consolation in it at least they didn't sell out to (something)world or one of the other rags...

Mario G

We talked to the Latts &Atts people at the Miami Boat show and they did say the Livingaboard was going to be intergraded in the Latts & Atts magazine 4 times a year. 

The last issue also has a full page letter that my 1st mate wrote about how alot of the sailboats we see think there motorboats.

Sunset

My wife and I loved that article. Its so true! My brother took his Coronado 25 down the ICW to Boot key harbor from Kentucky lake by the way of the Mississippi river. He said he motored or motored sailed 95% of the time, so he bought a trawler. My first question to him was why didn't you go off shore a bit so you could sail? No real good answer, but I believe it was because his wife was not comfortable with taking watch duty. In all fairness they had only sailed small inland lakes and it may have been intimidating on big water. I remember the first time I sailed the gulf and even crossed Pamlico sound I had a few butterflies.

Anyway great article Thanks for submitting it.

84 Islander 28

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Sunset on April 04, 2012, 09:49:58 AM

My first question to him was why didn't you go off shore a bit so you could sail? No real good answer, but I believe it was because his wife was not comfortable with taking watch duty.

I know it's hindsight at this point, but one thing that has worked well for us offshore when my wife did not feel confident standing a "sailing watch" was to heave-to during my time off to sleep.  She loved it, hanging out under the stars; the responsibility was to keep a proper lookout and wake me for any concern with the boat or the rig.

I mention it simply to emphasize that there are ways to solve just about any problem, and heaving-to is an often overlooked solution.  Yeah, we lost a few hours worth of progress, but so what?  The experience of going "outside" was definitely worth it, and the confidence she gained "watching" the boat was worth it as well.  I know I enjoyed the rest!

In all fairness they had only sailed small inland lakes and it may have been intimidating on big water. I remember the first time I sailed the gulf and even crossed Pamlico sound I had a few butterflies.

No doubt.  I still get pretty "serious" when planning even day trips on big water.  I hope I never become complacent and lose that.  The threats and dangers are real enough.

Fear can be a motivator or a paralyzer.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

Received Lats & Atts in the mail yesterday and on the cover are the words "Now Including Living Aboard."

Which is fine and dandy and swapping a Living Aboard subscription (especially since I'm not actually living aboard) for a L&A subscription seems like a fair deal. However, despite what the cover says, there doesn't appear to be any Living Aboard in this issue at all. Kind of weird given the new symbiotic relationship they are supposed to have, and the proud mention on the front cover.  Even if the Living Aboard feature is quarterly, you would think they would start on the first quarter, or at least not advertise Living Aboard on the front cover.

Unless, of course, I missed an issue or something...
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay