News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Manteo, N.C.

Started by Cruise, July 23, 2012, 12:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruise

It has been a long time since I have sailed to Manteo, and let me tell you, it is a beautiful stop. They really have done a lot with the waterfront since my last visit here.
There is a free town dock for 48 hours (no services) or you can anchor off of town with moderate protection and good holding.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

CharlieJ

I KNOW it's changed since last I was there ;D

Very early 80's, dockage was $5 night.

Three wall, no roof shower on the dock, draining thru the dock boards.

Elizabeth II was ashore, almost ready for launch.

Sorry I missed Manteo last time through, when we came up Pamlico Sound last year. We sailed  past, but didn't stop.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jmpeltier

Thanks for the info.  I'm in the process of deciding where my first few stops will be on my way out of the sound and down south, and hadn't considered Manteo.  I will now!
S/V Saoirse
www.jmpeltier.com

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..."

marujo_sortudo

Ditto.  We hope to make it at least as far as NC this year.  Of course, if we just sail past Portland, it'll be the furthest I've sailed....

Cruise

Also, sailing the Sounds beats the heck out of motoring the ICW, just so long as you can avoid bad weather. On my sail up the Pamlico Sound I was dodging waterspouts for half the day. One came within 300 yards of me. It's freaky seeing the water getting sucked up like that.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

Cruiser2B

Manteo was a very good and relaxing stop for us. I agree that sailing the sound beats the actual ICW, We sailed acrossed Ablemarle Sound after manteo and anchored at G153 in the north river on our way north. Any pics?
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Mario G

Manteo is 1 of our favorite stops. we spent a few months there when we had the Chrysler C-26. Anchoring near the lighthouse has good holding if you want to stay more then a few days.