News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Summer Plans

Started by Cruise, March 29, 2012, 06:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruise

So what do y'all have planned for this summer?
I'll be sailing north from Georgetown,SC in 3 weeks or so. I'll spend some time there visiting family and plan on being anchored at Ocracoke for the folk music festival June 01.
From there I will sail up the Pamlico Sound to Manteo, then the Chesapeake.
Who knows after that? Maine is my first choice. if not, then Washington DC for the Fourth of July.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

Cruise

Can't edit posts on my phone.....
   I'll be spending some time in N.C. visiting family before heading further north.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith

Grime

I can't say about the summer to far off. We do have plans on leaving here April 4th and head for New Orleans. We'll take our time just as long as we are there for our anniversary on the 23rd.

From there its all up in the air. Maybe continue east or just return home. We'll take it one day at a time. I do have to be back in S.A. for a follow up appointment in June for my cancer.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

Other than the Texas 200 in June, I plan to kinda hang around the house. Some fishing, some two-three day cruises, maybe a week, but mostly just being around here.

After almost 2 1/2 years on board, I'm ready for something different-(for a while ;) ).
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Well THIS summer I am planning on a serious amount of work on the Ariel hopefully finishing it by the fall, though may not splash it till next season. I will be sailing the Typhoon locally with another cruise up in Desolation Sound at the end of summer.

Now NEXT summer hopefully will find us (as we are beginning to make the plans now) spending at least a couple of weeks in Fiji, including sailing ;D ;D ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

gpdno

Well for the first part of summer, i.e. June, we are planning on taking a few weeks to head down to the Keys (Big Pine, Marathon, Key West, etc...).  We are planning on leaving after the kiddos get out of school.  Last summer, during July and August, it was too hot and muggy for my wife so I plan on pulling my sails and shipping them off to be cleaned/refurbished.  I'm also planning on rewiring the boat and painting the interior cabin.  Depending on my motivation level, I may pull her and redo the bottom or not.  Have not decided if I want to tackle that this summer or wait another year  :-\

Greg
Gregory
s/v Family Time
Watkins 27
Venice, FL

Godot

Besides just generally messing about...

I have a three week vacation block planned to sail to Martha's Vineyard.  There's a party there one weekend, see, and I figured this was a good chance to stretch Godot's legs. I figure two days to get to Cape May, then, weather permitting, I will probably go direct from Cape May to Martha's Vineyard (if everything cooperates and I'm early, I may stop at Block Island first). The return trip will probably be harbor hopping along the coast. I have a hankering to sail past the Statue of Liberty.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Captain Smollett

More day sails and overnights.  With the trailer boat back in the picture, I've already got about a dozen "jaunts" in the plan that involve launching at one ramp, sailing (a day or two) to the next and being picked up there.  Trailer sailing is extending my range, my sailfar-ness, given shore based commitments..

Possible trip to Bull's Island (SC) in April; with boat.

Trip to Montana; no boat.

Trip to Maine; with boat. 

Continue working on the big boat restoration.  The project list does not seem to be shrinking yet.   ::)

(Looking real hard at the Texas 200 for next year; couldn't swing the schedule for this year).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

jpfx

I have a '76 com-pac 16 on a trailer in the garage. It's been there for several years and suffers from the result of acute procrastination from its owner. I'm intending to take it off the trailer and lay it on its side in the garage while I finish stripping the bottom (started several years ago) and repainting. Working around the trailer has been awkward to say the least.
My rob roy 23 is in the water at a friends house and I hope to gain more experience/confidence using that. Some coastal sailing and a trip to the islands are in the cards in the next couple of years.
If I could manage those tasks during this summer that would be wonderful!
It would also be more than I've done for my own benefit in the last 10 years...

Sunset

This is the first summer in 7 years I have been without a boat. My brother and most friends have power boats :'( I guess I can idle to the nearest cove and anchor for the weekend a few times. At least I'll be on the water. One friend has a Catalina 22, I can bum it for a while and maybe get a week trip or two in. I painted it for him a few years back and it seems to be a pretty nice boat. It's not a cat ketch  ;) but it would do. Other than that, I'll keep plugging away at building my new one.

I have sailed Pamlico sound, Oriental, Ocracoke area many times with my Belhaven 19 and always had a good time. Pamlico sound can really kick up so watch the weather. I serfted by Belhaven from Ocracoke to vandemere in a small craft advisory once, it was great fun but kept me on my toes.
84 Islander 28

jpfx

sunset - I think you took me out on your belhaven during the B&B messabout in 2009 (or was it 2010). Yourself and your buddy (with the C22 I believe) were great company that weekend.
Although I have plans for a B19, I realized after reading some of Jim Michalaks thoughts on why one builds a boat that there were so many good old boats that I would be better off buying used.
I ended up with a rob roy 23 canoe yawl which is a stepping stone to something larger in a few years.
B&B cemented my appreciation for cat ketchs and 2 masts in general. However the rr23 is a bit of strange one: quite tippy (as in 'canoe' no doubt) and lee to neutral helm. Once balanced, the mizzen can be used to fine tune the heading, not that it matters for my current 'go where you want to' sailing. Before my time, the rudder fell off once on a coastal run and the mizzen was used for effective steering!
Anyway, while boatless you're welcome to come get the c16 and trailer for an indefinite period (probably half a days work to get ready to sail). Also you're welcome to take the rr23 out if you're down this way (Lake Murray, SC).

marujo_sortudo

Anne and I are getting Mimi Rose ready for splashing.  Lots of projects still to do, but hoping to get the boat in the water around June 1.  After that, we'll spend some time on the Maine coast and then hopefully go south and end up somewhere lovely.  The plan is roughly to keep the boat in the water for the next 2 years and live-aboard, but obviously there's a lot that can happen between now and then.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: jpfx on April 01, 2012, 07:01:10 PM

if you're down this way (Lake Murray, SC).

I spent about 8 years sailing Lake Wateree.  Ever get over that way?

When I first started sailing at that lake in about 2000, it was really nice...very un-crowded and relatively undeveloped shoreline. 

By about 2006 or so, it had clearly been "discovered" (by Charlotte, apparently) and we had far more motorboat chop.  Still, uncrowded compared to Murray I'd think.

Found the sailing on Wateree to be much better than Wylie, but I only sailed there a few times.

Still, had some great times on that lake.  I never made it over to Murray though, at least with our sailboat.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Sunset

Jpfx I am planning to run out to see Graham in June sometime maybe I can make a side trip for a visit along with some others I have met online. That's very generous offer thanks. Being without a boat is not a good feeling. I only remember( Im getting old) taking two people out heres a picture that must be you. If its not sorry.
84 Islander 28

jpfx

yes, that was I. I went out with ken in the CS17 pictured also.
welcome any time... I'll pm contact info.

Chattcatdaddy

Summer will be an exciting time for me, a new beginning of sorts. In a couple of weeks I will start down the Chesapeake getting to know the boat and getting to know myself as well. Then a decision to either hop down the coast or attempt The Scoot(leaning toward The Scoot) around May. If I decide on the Scoot, then a month or so in the Bahamas before hurricane season starts to heat up then on to the FL Keys for the rest of the summer. Gonna be a great summer!
Keith
International Man of Leisure

claire.giulini

Hi,

We just came back from our first sail to BVI under guidance of Offshore Sailing School & planning to sail to Florida... :)

Claire,
http://thesunovertheyardarm.com/
Claire
The Sun Over the Yardarm
http://thesunovertheyardarm.com/

Cruise

Looking back on my old posts, I always seem to run about a month behind my 'schedule'.
I didn't make it to Ocracoke for the festival. At the time I was just finishing up my bottom job in Shallotte, NC. . Didn't make it to DC for Independence Day, was in Ocracoke on the 4th. 
Schedules are never good on a sailboat anyway, right?
Next stop the Chesapeake Bay......
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith