News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Origo Stove

Started by mrbill, December 18, 2007, 02:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwatt

Grime, St. Paul also has some brass kerosene lamps that seem pretty workable.
Both pressure and wick-type.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Rick Westlake

Grime, the St. Paul Mercantile "Butterfly" kerosene stove looks nothing like my Origo stove.

The stove I've got is a non-pressurized stove that uses denatured alcohol. It's a two-burner stove that's set in the counter-top of my galley. Each burner has a "fuel reservoir" cartridge that's about 7 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches deep, which has a 3-inch (or so) hole in the top; the reservoir is packed with wool, which keeps the alcohol fuel from sloshing, and the "burner hole" has a wide-mesh screen over it to keep the wool in place.

Any camper who has used the Swedish "Trangia" alcohol stove will get the idea immediately. The Origo cartridges take a liter of alcohol and, supposedly, burn for several hours on one such fill.  I haven't given them a formal trial, this way, but the fuel will last for quite a while if you put a rubber gasket on top of the "burner hole" in the cartridge between uses.

Alcohol, being an "oxygenated" fuel, gives you less heat (less energy) than a pure hydrocarbon fuel such as propane, butane, or kerosene. Propane is widely heralded as "the best stove fuel system in existence." But a new propane stove might cost me $600, the propane bottles themselves might cost $200 each, the gas-lines (plus solenoid switches and other safety gear) would cost hundreds more, and I'd have to fabricate a propane locker with overflow-drain lines and all ...

I would be surprised if it cost much less than $2000 to fit a propane system into my boat. That would buy me an awful lot of stove alcohol, even at $30 a gallon!

Seadogdave

I have a similar stove on my Catalina 27.  Try Home Depot or Lowes for the alcohol - I think I paid about $16 a gallon.  I think it puts out pretty good heat, even though my wife don't like it.
Seadogdave