News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

SailFar-isms

Started by Tim, April 06, 2012, 06:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I looked for a place to post this couldn't really find anything with a good fit so I am starting a new thread.

I was reading through my "Skene's Elements of Yacht Design" and came across this quote from John Masefield and/or Norman Skene

Quote"The simplest design is usually the best"is a good rule by which to judge a design. It is easy to make things complicated and expensive, but it requires a great deal of thought, combined with experience. to keep a design simple, practical, and inexpensive. The eraser should be the most useful tool used by a designer, and he should never be afraid to use it! "Beating through into the perfect line" *

As I work on what has turned out to be a complete refit of my Ariel "Mariah" I am trying to use this as a guiding principle, not always the fastest way, but I hope for it to be the most satisfying when it is done.

*This is from a poem by John Masefield

QuoteWhen I saw her masts across the
        River rising queenly,
Built out of so much chaos
        Brought to law,
I learned the power of knowing
        How to draw,
Of beating through the into the
        Perfect line:
I vowed to make that power of
        Beauty mine.
;
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Cruise

Something I read a long time ago has always stuck with. Unfortunately I cannot remember the book or the author, but it was a fiction novel. It went something like this, "Winds, waves and currents will bow to grace, but never bulk".
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.