World record breaking Vega 27

Started by Lin Pardey, April 10, 2012, 11:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lin Pardey

Just in case you haven't heard about Matt Rutherford and his voyage around all of the Americas, thought I'd mention it as a wild, crazy but well executed modern day small boat voyage. Matt has already broken a lot of records and is only 400 miles from crossing his outbound track as he sails toward the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay after 280 days at sea. (www.solotheamericas.org).  Since he is raising funds for my favorite group, CRAB - an Annapolis gang of sailors with disabilities, I have been following his attempt since he left.

We hosted an Easter Regatta here at our home base in New Zealand and at the barbeque on our deck several folks who work with team New Zealand and their Volvo race entrant were talking about the sponsorship money being poured into their effort - $25 million so far and all crew are highly paid professionals. Matt has had $6000 worth of sponsorship and is a 30 year old who earns his keep by helping on yacht deliveries.

Meanwhile, just in from moving Taleisin from her mooring to the jetty marina berth by way of a sail around the two islands outside our bay - took an extra two hours but it was lovely.

Lin Pardey

Jim_ME

Lin, Thank you for posting the link to Matt Rutherford`s website. I have read some of the information there and his entries, and just realized that it is a nonstop solo voyage. Guess that what you wrote about his being at sea for 280 days should have been a clue to a more alert reader...  ;D What a great achievement and cause.

Good to hear that you took the long way from the mooring to the marina berth, and had a lovely sail.  :)

-Jim  

s/v Faith

Lin,

So glad to have you aboard!  Thanks for joining, I know that many of us here have been the recipients of much help from your and Larry's books and videos.

Congrats to Matt!  Thanks for sharing this with us here.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

He's finished the circle.  Closed the loop on 18 April at 1038 EST.

There will be a live stream of his homecoming party in Annapolis on the 21st.

Here's the link for more details:

http://www.solotheamericas.org/?p=509

What a cool accomplishment for a cool cause by what seems like an unassuming, humble sailor.  This is very inspirational on many levels.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

QuoteWhat a cool accomplishment for a cool cause by what seems like an unassuming, humble sailor.  This is very inspirational on many levels.

Absolutely, Stands way above so many of the other, both impressive and worthwhile.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Tim

Practical Sailor has a good article this month about Matt, his voyage and his boat. goes over well how "little" he really needed.

And I have to say I love the name of his boat "St. Brendan" so fitting when one knows who "Brendan the Navigator" was.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Oldrig

Quote from: Tim on July 02, 2012, 10:52:12 AM
Practical Sailor has a good article this month about Matt, his voyage and his boat. goes over well how "little" he really needed.

Ditto on that PS article.

When stuff broke, Matt just kept going, and doing without. I was disappointed to see that his Kindle failed early  :(

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

SeaHusky

Is it possible to read/buy this article on line or does one have to subscribe?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.