News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising in Hawaii?

Started by Equator, September 16, 2012, 07:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Equator

I was just doing some brainstormin' and started thinking about Hawaii. I've been a few times on business and thought it might be interesting to buy a small sailboat out there.

It would seem like a nice way to spend a year or so sailing the islands and then sell the boat and move on.

But info is pretty scarce. I haven't been able to find cruising references online, so I was wondering if anyone had any first hand info regarding weather, anchoring, odd regulations, etc.

Thanks, and happy sailing!
There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage - Mark Twain

Delezynski

Equator,

WOW, I am surprised that you did not get a reply yet!  :o

My info is a bit dated as it's been a year or so since I was last in Hawaii, and more than a few since I sailed the waters.

I would LOVE to move back there! Lived there for 3 years many years ago.

BUT, I have to be honest. I always thought the sailing in the islands was not very good. Nice anchorage are few and FAR in between! MOST are open road steads. Finding a slip on any island other than Oahu are hard to get and the state sort of hates live aboards. Because of the high cost of living, a lot of people living aboard are looked on as free loaders.

And the channels between the islands can be a real bear! Some rough water there!

I would not rule it out, but many other places are much better cruising areas. The west coast islands, the Sea of Cotez, or the Bahamas should be done first.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Try checking in with these guys, homeport has been Hawaii & they're currently spending the winter in Alaska.

http://cruisinglealea.com/
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!