How small for how far…… ???

Started by s/v Faith, March 06, 2006, 12:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Checking in after a weeks Med. cruise Judy won at work. Stopped at various ports around Italy,Sicily and Croatia. Craig and Capt S thoughts rang home here often as in each port I thought of how much more rewarding it would have been on your own vessel.About the freedom you would have rather than being 'herded' around.About the sence of accomplishment you would have .....about the 'adventure'. I've read all the Pardey's books and thought of them continually as I'd learned of many of our stops in their books.I thought of how they have lead their life being true to themselves.About the wealth of human experience they have.Can't help but admire and respect them.Even Thoreau would give them 2 big thumbs up !!! Grog to Craig/Rose for taking off...'Faith' is very capable.Grog to Capt S for going against the norm and homeschooling. Grog to all that make life choices that aren't mainstream, but are true to their own hearts.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Adam

Ok, I'm going to chime in here, probably late... I've been "busy". I bought Revival, Frank's Ariel, hull #50, and found that to be the PERFECT boat for me.... alone. If I'd had a significant other, it would have been too confining. But, as I was sailing alone, she had ample (even UNUSED) storage for all of my poop (and I'm a packrat... I can't walk past a pile of poop on the side of the road on "we'll pick up anything" day). I found the peace of mind of KNOWING I could safely handle all facets of the boat singlehanded (for instance, my 660 mile shakedown cruise, I could idle down approaching the locks on the Okeechobee waterway, and set out the fenders on the correct side, without stress), this peace of mind far outweighed the loss of utility on those very few occasions when a larger boat would have been more comfortable (entertaining on the hook, etc..)

The boat I had prior to the Ariel was a Coronado 35, center cockpit. It was roomy as all get out, but in situations like docking, or reducing sail underway, etc.. It was VERY stressful. When/if I leave the Army, I'll be in the market for another Ariel (assuming Uncle Sam doesn't issue me a wife between deployments).

My comfort zone is the 26-28' range. But then again, like I said, I'm a packrat. There's gold in them thar piles of poop by the road :)

Adam

ps - sorry I've been quiet for so long, I was busy with basic training and AIT. I'm now a 21-B, Combat Engineer... I get to play with some awesome toys, but I'm a long way from the open water :(

s/v Faith

Talking to a friend shortly after our arrival at Lake Worth, after several questions about how the boat and the modifications worked out he asked me;

"If funds were no issue, would you want another boat?"

I thought about it for a few minutes and was able to honestly reply.

No.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more