News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New Sail Covers

Started by ralay, August 15, 2012, 06:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralay

Our new boat came without any sail covers whatsoever.  We bought a used couple-sizes-too-large mainsail cover but would also like some foredeck bags for the hank-on jib and staysail.  I have some experience sewing and am planning on tackling trying to resize the mainsail cover and make a couple of foredeck bags. 

What are your suggestions for the best fabric and the cheapest place to order it?  Unfortunately, we are somewhat locked in to a particular color (khaki) if we want it to match the mainsail cover.  Sunbrella seems the most popular choice, but perhaps there are other options?  For those of you who have done canvas work, what did you buy and where did you buy it?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for features they would want in sail covers if they had the freedom to do them themselves?  Best closure?  Fancypants convenience features? 

Tim

Sunbrella is most popular because it is hard to beat for the price.

For my small boats I have used http://www.sailrite.com/SurLast-3862-0000-Light-Grey-60 which is also made by GlenRaven that makes Sunbrella but is lighter weight and a bit more breathable I believe. I used this because weight was an issue (I made a boom tent and sailcovers that had to stowed in the Cape Dory Typhoon.)
I think for a larger boat it may not be an advantage, they both run around the same price per yard.

I used velcro and snaps, again because of the smaller lighter boat, probably would use twist locks on something larger.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Rachel- let's get together on this. I have a friend in Houston  who runs a canvas shop. She's currently doing a sail cover for me.

Been down there to Mona twice but no body aboard- PM or email me when ya'll will be there.

Also have a commercial grade sewing machine here at the house.  Can you sew? (dumb question- I've seen some of what you two can do) ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cruiser2B

FWIW I bought one off ebay from  I think the Sailcover Guy.....no sure but hes out of New YorkM very nice piece to my door for $200, Zippered and twist locks long bottom. And it a very large cover for my 15ft boom. I am very happy with it and did not feel abit bad because it was made in the USA with sunbrella.
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Grime

Rachel,

I hate sunbrella its the most over rated fabric out there along with price. What I have for my main sail cover is WeatherMax. If I had known that you guys were looking for suggestion James could have check out ours.

http://leesailcovers.com/Weathermax80.php?gclid=COjStOT96rECFQdjTAod3TIAUw
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

ralay

@CharlieJ:  I've altered clothes, made sheets for our old berths, bags, pillow covers with piping, etc.  I feel like I could probably step up to it.  I'll probably start with the easiest projects first (winch covers or something) just to get used to the fabric.  The internet is down at NLM.  I'm not sure if James has a phone number for you, but that would probably be the only way to get in touch easily on the boat.

@Cruiser2B:  I probably would consider just buying a used jib bag off ebay.  There are plenty on there.  Of course, none of them are the same color as the mainsail cover and I'd need two for the two foresails.  It makes me wish we'd got a mainsail cover in red or blue as there are a million of those.

@Grime: I'll look into that.  I'll probably be in the research stage of this for awhile and I'd be happy to come have a look at your sail covers next time we're down.

CharlieJ

Internet seems to STAY down lately at NLM. People are getting upset about it.

Cell phone number-

three six one
nine nine nine zero

Have to go back to East Texas property on Monday afternoon.  or Tuesday AM, probably for the entire week.

Have space for you to work and a machine you can use- HEAVY duty one
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

We'll keep that number handy.  I stayed home to work this week (trying to pay James back for the cost of our whopping sales tax and registration) and James is likely without internet to follow this thread.  No doubt we'll be back again sometime soon, though. 

CharlieJ

Well, I cooked Chinese for James tonight- Next time YOU better be along ;D ;D

Realized we'd met before- he was by the house some years ago to visit my stepson Ryan. Finally put two and two together. He was towing the Potter 14 and had damaged the mast.

Small  world :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Grime

Lisa and I are looking forward to your next trip down to Port Lavaca. We would sure like to hear about your adventures.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

w00dy

Oh we're coming soon, and in force! ;D