News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Pearson Ariel

Started by s/v Faith, March 06, 2006, 12:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I wondered who was going to start off with a post on the Pearson Ariel.  Knowing that there are at least half a dozen owners on this board, I thought from sure there would be a thread by now.....

Here are a couple thoughts, from the list I have put together in my thinking about the 'how small for how far?' thread.

Pearson Ariel
'Faith' is a 1964 Pearson Ariel.  She has several strong points that I believe are important for a small boat cruiser.  Her detractors are mainly along the lines of any small boat, chief among them (IMHO) is limited stowage space.

It seems to me as though many more contemporary designs were first laid out as a cabin, around which a boat was built.  The high freeboard, and wide beam so present in the market today are absent from the Ariel.

I am thankful that Carl Alberg was so stubborn about his designs, and glad to own a boat built for the sea, as opposed to being built for the dock, or even the regatta circuit.

Strong points;

~ Very strong rig (overrigged by most standards)

~ Strong, well protected, keel hung rudder. (with tiller steering, which I also am in favor of).

~ Lead ballast, encapsulated in a full keel with cutaway forefoot.  Stable, tracks well, and bulletproof.

~ Outboard in a well.  All cost/weight/ease of maintenance of an outboard without the biggest problems of a transom hung outboard.  Even when it gets ugly, my lower unit stays in the water.  (looks nicer too).

~ Standing head room in main salon

~ Bridge deck. This means even if the cockpit drains are overtaxed, water will not enter the cabin as with other designs.  The outboard well dumps water before it can get high enough.

~ Properly angled transom.  Following sea tends to lift stern.

~ Overly thick hull, hand laid roving, no chop strand anywhere on the boat.

~ Rounded cabin top

~ Proper bilge (mine has had additional glass added to encapsulate the ballast, but I still have a relatively deep bilge.)

~ Easy on the eyes.  ;D
[/list]

Draw backs;
* Ice box lid in cockpit. This is a 'neat' feature if you are daysailing, but a liability offshore.  I removed and glassed over mine.

* large windows, but no opening ports in main cabin.  In all the searching I have done since I have owned the boat, no one has ever reported these windows being a problem, but I intend to use stormboards to cover mine.... Just in case.

* Head is located in the center of the V-Berth.  Effectively removes the V-berth utility as a sleeping area.  V-berth becomes the 'garage' type stowage area.

* Limited tankage

* Limited stowage space.  Small hanging locker, no nav table (as designed).  I removed my ice box and gained a nav table where it was located.

* Outboard propulsion carries limited battery charging opportunities.

* Low freeboard makes for a wet ride.  A dodger is a MUST for offshore work.

On edit; 
I would be remiss if I did not include a link to the Pearson Ariel Owners Association.  http://www.pearsonariel.org  It covers the Ariel and it's sister ship the mighty Pearson Commander (longer cockpit, smaller cabin.)  Great forums, just remember to use the search function before you post a question.....  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

oded kishony

I LOVe that boat! A reaction I often have to Alberg designs.

I wonder if you've come across Vigor's book "Twenty Small Boats that will Take you anywhere"?

He's got several Alberg designed boats in the book the Triton 28, the Alberg 30, Bristol 27 Cape Dory 25D Great book.

Oded Kishony

starcrest

personally I think these boats are  simply fantastic,,,,,they  do indeed have potential.....I had a dream about on once. it lasted 5 years...or was it really a vision....something about....6000 miles....seeing the ocean  as never before.....man that way back------that first  5 days was no dream----more like a nitemare----"total seasickness in its truest form----headache- chills- fever -nausea- vomiting.......'with all the adversity I am facing in my life rite now if I have to downsize.........take one guess----
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Oldrig

Yup, the Ariel is a real classic.

I've got a Cape Dory 25D, which is very similar to the Ariel (Carl Alberg was a notoriously stubborn Swede. According to Dan Spurr's classic Hearts of Glass no matter how many times a boatbuilder asked for more space and less keel they always got the same basic, seaworthy design.)

Unlike the Ariel, the CD25D has no V-berth in the forward compartment--just a head and sink. And, she's got a diesel engine (1-cylinder Yanmar 1GM). The icebox is inside the cabin--but it's so poorly insulated that it might as well not be there at all.

And, of course, there's a bridgedeck.

I don't think it's possible to go wrong with an Alberg-designed boat, and the Ariel is certainly a beauty. Of course, I'm prejudiced.

--Joe

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Adam

I'm prejudiced too, now. The big selling point for me was the full keel with the cutaway...

plus, beautiful lines... I saw somewhere (forgot where) where someone photographed an Ariel with the cockpit coaming removed.... From beautiful to "what was the designer thinking?" all over that one little profile item.....

Adam

Adam

My Ariel and my tender at home in Key West:

AdriftAtSea

Very nice... where's the boat's name though?  Is it across the stern??

For monohulls, I'm a big fan of the Alberg designs, and particularly like the Alberg 30.  But, alas, I am not a monohull sailor, having my lovely trimaran instead.  :D

One question though...in the photos on the post i see you towing an inflatable dinghy, not the little hard dinghy in the last photo.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

In another post, Adam related some 'troubles' with the inflatable...

How do you like that little cathedral-hulled dink, Adam? I bet it is stable, have wondered how they towed, if that hull shape produced alot of drag...

Signed,

Still Jealous
(of your beeyootiful shiny Ariel)
((but Katie will be one soon, too :) ))
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Adam

haha, Yeah, I'm very pleased with the little West Marine dink... a little wet in the rough stuff (throws a lot of spray forward) but very stable...

BUT, according to the pumpout boat guy, Revival is the "prettiest boat on the island"... :D

It's like I'm dating a supermodel :D

Adam

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Adam on October 27, 2006, 01:20:38 PM
It's like I'm dating a supermodel :D

Now we know Adam is dreaming... LOL. 

BTW, how big is that WM dink??
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Zen

Whilst roaming the dock on a windless Fri, I stopped by to check on my old girl. Poor thing does not get out much these days. The owner is otherwise busy...
how sad. Anyway since I know the owner and have this sense of just checking on my child, I go by from time to time to make sure things are ok. Lines tied, nothing loose, fenders in place etc. Ah memories... good times

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

It's sad to hear that your previous boat has become a dock queen.  :( 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Frank

It's not too sad....every marina needs "eye candy"
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

LOL.. true...as long as she is well loved and taken care of, being a "dock queen" isn't all that bad... I hope the owner will be sailing her again soon... Boats aren't meant to just sit at the dock...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

Having moved aboard over 7 months ago and been cruising full time for 6 months I have to say that the Ariel is just about the perfect cruising boat (for us).
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Quote from: s/v Faith on February 10, 2008, 12:12:21 AM
Having moved aboard over 7 months ago and been cruising full time for 6 months I have to say that the Ariel is just about the perfect cruising boat (for us).
Thanks for posting this Craig, it led me to this thread I did not know was here.

As  new Ariel owner with Big plans for us, it is great to read how well yours has worked for you.

May plan at this point is to a little sailing on the SF Bay with her while she is slipped down there, then bring here up to my yard to set her up the way I want. And hopefully have her wet again by fall in the Pacific NW.

Tim
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

TJim

Tim, I didn't see you on the Bay this last week...Came home today, but had 3 good days of working on Sirena and 2 good days of sailing her. Be going back down in about 3 weeks.  I'll be on the lookout for you.......

Tim

Jim,
Couldn't get down to her as much as I thought I would, and had to do a few things to her when I did. Will try and get her out Wed. Looks like she will be slipped in Sausalito into March so hopefully catch you.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

BobW

Tim and Jim -

With Prelude now berthed in Berkeley, perhaps we can meet up some time before Tim pulls Che north.   :)
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

Tim

Sounds good, Looks like the trailer isn't going to show up until the end of the month anyway (and I don't know if I will have to do any work on it).

I may try and get her out tomorrow, but I have waiting for the PO to remove the vane and rear solar panel. I'm going through the head sail inventory at home today.

I will be out of town next week, but let's try after that.

Tim

W.A. Ward