News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Dietz Air Pilot as Anchor Light

Started by Captain Smollett, March 04, 2006, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Does anyone have experience with or comments on the Dietz Air Pilot oil/kerosene lantern as an anchor light?  The price is certainly right.

The specific question I have concerns brightness.  Is 12 CP sufficient to meet 2 nm visibility?

I found this site that suggests 12 CP should be bright enough.

As an matter of general interest, I found USA Coast Guard vs. Joseph Pavelec Appeals Summary which I thought was interesting reading concerning collision between a vessel under way and one anchored.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

oded kishony

I did a google search for nautical visibility and found this site for a manufacturer of nautical markers

http://www.solarmarinelights.com/content/products/701-5/specifications.aspx

The text indicates that '6 candelas' is sufficient to be seen at 2.2nm

How do you feel about having fuel and fire dangling over your deck :-) ?

I've been using a battery powered fluorescent lantern with a dimmer (hi-lo) switch. But I like the idea of a kerosene lantern

Oded Kishony  ~~ __/) ~~

Captain Smollett

Quote from: oded kishony on March 04, 2006, 08:03:59 PM

How do you feel about having fuel and fire dangling over your deck :-) ?

From the Nitro-Pak site:
For safety, all lanterns automatically go out if they are tipped over.

That's better than nothing.  :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

We use a Dietz kero lantern all the time as an anchor light. Used one on our previous boat also. Don't know what the designation is but it's a larger blue one.

In the painting I posted some time ago in Boat Bits of Laura's art work you can see her painting of it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Thanks, CJ.  That's all the endorsement I needed.   :D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

CharlieJ

Found the picture of our anchor light in use.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Wow, having seen the painting and the photo, that is some painting she did. :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina