s/v 'Puff' the Snapdragon, a great loop Great adventure!

Started by s/v Faith, October 25, 2010, 08:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapdragon

No Craig, at this time Puff is sitting on her trailer here at home.  I tried to brighten up her demeanor by installing a new set of tires on the trailer, but it's not working.  Neither of us will be happy until she's back in the water. 
The big boat always has the right of way!
"Puff"
1970 Thames Snapdragon 26, twin keel

Snapdragon

While I'm waiting, I've done a little tinkering with the old 9.8 Nissan that let me down. 
I found that the rectifier/regulator on the charging system was shorted to ground and the fuse that protects it and the starter solenoid was blown.  I disconnected the rectifier/regulator hot wire and replaced the fuse, and the electric starter now works.  I can get by without a battery charging system for a while.
The crankcase oil smelled of gasoline, so I put a rebuild kit in the fuel pump which was leaking gasoline into the crankcase.  After changing the oil I started the engine and it still would not idle.  I then checked to make sure that both cylinders were getting fire, then pulled the carburetor and blew out the jets with compressed air.  That did it!  She now runs like a new motor, and idles perfectly. 
I think I'll put a jack plate on an old aluminum boat I haven't used in years and see if I can use this extra-long shaft motor on it to play in the Blackwater River.  It ain't sailing, but it's close to home.

The big boat always has the right of way!
"Puff"
1970 Thames Snapdragon 26, twin keel