News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Annapolis Boat Show

Started by ScarberiaSailor, April 08, 2012, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarberiaSailor

I've heard lots about the big sailboat show in Annapolis each fall.  There's a new spring show this year that has caught my interest. 

I'm hoping to hear thoughts about the show, in particular have past Annapolis shows been relevant for viewing SailFar-type boats?  Good reasonably-priced places to stay near the centre of Annapolis?

Any thoughts appreciated  :)

Colin

Godot

I don't know anything about a new spring show, but the fall Annapolis Boat Show is a lot of fun and I try to go when I can. For the most part, the boats on display are new boats which pretty much means they are big. Not exclusively, though. I know the Rhodes 22 has made an appearance every year I've been there (a neat little boat with lots of great ideas, though it doesn't even have comfortable sitting headroom for me). One or two others that lean towards the racing side. Some neat dinghys. And lots and lots of gear with a fair amount of face time with company representatives. Depending on your style that could be worth something.

Outside of a Tilley Hat, foul weather gear, and a new VHF I haven't bought much there. I did talk to the folks from SailCare and subsequently sent my sails to them for reconditioning (well worth it, btw), and tried out a mast climbing solution and decided to not purchase (also a valuable lesson). Mostly, though, it is just cool to hang out with boat people, some fairly famous, and look at and talk boats.  I always enjoy myself.

I'm not sure about hotel prices but would expect them to be pretty high. Sailing in would likely be problematic the week of the show.

Annapolis in general is a fun town and I try and go there a couple times a year.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

ScarberiaSailor

I visited the spring show last week.  The boats on display were like you described - mostly new and mostly big.  Even the used boats were big.  The one SailFar-type boat on display was the West Wight Potter 19.  I was able to board the boat and chat with the company rep, which was great because it was the first time seeing in person a boat the I've had my eye on for a while.

The best part of the visit was Annapolis itself.  The town has lots of charm. It was great being a tourist and navigating the walk able 18th century streets.  The Maryland State House and Naval Academy were history come alive, we found a few great places to eat, and stayed at a reasonably-priced inn right downtown.  The Naval Academy and St John's Collage have an annual croquet match which happened to occur last Saturday during the show; we saw something like a thousand spectators from the town dressed like extras from The Great Gatsby making a giant town picnic of the event  :)

Oldrig

Quote from: ScarberiaSailor on May 02, 2012, 10:53:35 PM
The best part of the visit was Annapolis itself. 

How True! I really fell in love with Eastport when I was there. And what's not to love about a town that calls part of its waterfront "Ego Alley?"

I haven't been there since my business died (the owners of the magazine are in Annapolis). Might try to get back some time soon.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

CharlieJ

Quote from: Oldrig on May 05, 2012, 04:39:47 PM

How True! I really fell in love with Eastport when I was there. And what's not to love about a town that calls part of its waterfront "Ego Alley?"

--Joe

I love Annapolis also- spent 8 days there last year. One thing that really blew me away was that there is a city maintained dinghy dock, most with floating docks, and garbage cans, at the foot of EVERY street that dead ends at the creek.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Zen

I went to the Annaoplis Show for the first time this year. A lot of big boats , and CATs there. Some small boat there also but by far the money and the crowds were at the big boat...dreamers maybe...

I was there with the Zen24 electric powered Sailboat from Japan.

I also hung out a bit witht he Royal sailing Couple...
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Frank

I'm sure you enjoyed it. I'd be at the less busy "small boat" section  ;-)

How was the Zen 24?  I'd read about it somewhere.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Zen

We had a nice sail on the Zen24 on the Chesapeake, almost perfect.  It made an impression at the show, but no one purchased  :(
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

CapnK

Very cool, Zen! I'd have been there with you and Frank...

Of course, if Frank had been there all the big boat sailing mags would have stories talking about the "crazy, hard-partying small boat sailors trashing the place"...  ::)

Nice pic with L&L! I'd much rather be seen with that 'royal couple', than with P-Willy and Kate; More substance, more style! ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)