Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising on Sv Blue Print

Started by matt195583, December 25, 2012, 06:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt195583

Blue Print is a Holeman & Pye UFO 34.

"The UFO34 was a production yacht design based on a successful IOR 3/4 Ton Cup racing yacht "Unidentified Flying Object" of the late 1970s. Whilst many IOR yachts of the period had a reputation for poor handling, the UFO34 was both fast and virtually vice-free, and the class became successful both as racers and as fast cruisers, many boats being used exclusively as cruising yachts. The design was originally for tiller steering, with a six foot long tiller and extension, but many yachts intended as cruisers were fitted from new with wheel steering. Many others have since been converted to wheel steering, and it is now rare to find one with the original tiller (which is a shame - as they handle very well with a tiller, and it makes much more space in the cockpit when anchored or moored)."

Quoted from here http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/ufo-34/ufo-34.htm

This year I cruised about 1500 miles over 4 months with an average moving speed of 4.4 knots.

matt195583

I cruised from Brisbane Australia to Airlie Beach in a round about fashion detouring to anywhere that looked interesting  ;D I used a total of 300 liters of diesel in that time. With the 2QM20 soaking up about 750ml of fuel motor sailing and about 1.2 liters under power at around 4.5 knots.

I have tried to keep all the systems simple and was glad of that when I discovered the odd electrical gremlin along the way. I will be rewiring the boat before the next trip ( 3-4 months time) I am currently running 2 80w BP solar panels with 2 120 amp hour AGM's. primarily running a 40l engel fridge all the lighting is LED. The only time I had any drama's with battery levels was when we had 5 consecutive ovecast days. I would like to get a windgen of some sort fitted before the next cruise.

I fitted my second hand Aries vane on the day before we left to cruise and unfortunately had little success with it. I will machine up some new bushes and revise how it is all setup. My Raymarine ST2000 done a wonderful job at them helm though  :D given my long term plans to get out into the pacific I will definitely persevere with the Aries.

Also I had a stroke of extreme luck, when I got home a  good friend of my stepfathers gave me a stack of sails all unused and having been stored in a garage for years. among them there is a GIANT light weight genoa, 2 sets of storm sails a spare main and another smaller jib. merry Christmas to me  ;D  I now need to fit a track to the mast for the trysail.

CharlieJ

Quote from: matt195583 on December 25, 2012, 06:21:10 PM

This year I cruised about 1500 miles over 4 months with an average moving speed of 4.4 knots.

In some 7000 miles aboard Tehani, that's pretty close to our overall average.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

matt195583

Cool Charlie I must be doing something right then  ;D I also got the opportunity to crew on a 50ft benateau for a few days in the Airlie race week. While it is not really my style of sailing it really improved my sail trimming.

One thing I really want to achieve is better light air sailing, While I have a MASSIVE spinnaker it is a bit to much especially single handing. Maybe an asymmetrical on a furler might be in the pipeline. 

matt195583