Anchors, anchors again, & more anchors....

Started by Mr. Fixit, January 06, 2006, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auspicious

I wasn't being sarcastic. United Cargo failed to call me when the shipment arrived. US Customs helped me track down the shipment (in United's bonded cargo storage) and gave me a step-by-step on what I need to do on Monday to clear. We'll see how actuality works on Monday.

I have to say that my interactions with US Customs (I guess I should call them CBP) outside of airports has been universally positive. When I imported Auspicious in Norfolk in '06 they were helpful above and beyond any reasonable expectation. This experience (so far) as been very positive.

I wonder if I can get miles for this anchor shipment? *grin*

I'm rather excited about this and planning an early (cold) trip out to test the new anchor.

sail fast (and eat well), dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

You'll have to post photos of the new anchor on the bow roller... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Auspicious

That's the plan! It may take me a bit because I want to run the whole chain out and remark the lengths. I'll at least post pictures in the bed of the truck.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

s/v Faith

Dave,

2 pages of posts and we STILL don't know what it is.... I hope they are giving you this anchor for free, you sure have me wondering what it is.
  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Auspicious

I didn't think it would drag out quite this long. All will be revealed.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

Okay - I have the anchor. US Customs was easy, cooperative, supportive, and just about everything you could ask for from a US Government agency. Kudos to CBP and to Officer Alexander in particular at BWI. WFS (Worldwide Freight Systems?) who has the bonded warehouse contract for all international cargo at BWI on the other hand was a nightmare. I checked in there to pick up my waybill and other paperwork; while I was processing through Customs they managed to lose the paperwork, so instead of staging my shipment for loading while I was gone they went looking for the papers (their copies of the same ones they gave me minutes before) and then went wandering around the warehouse looking for the shipment. Aaargh.

Anyway the anchor is in the back of my truck while I coordinate with the Annapolis Harbormaster about chewing up the pedestrian dock for an hour or so later this week to remark my chain and swap anchors.

In the meantime, here is a picture of the shipment:

photo copyright Auspicious 2009 and may not be reposted without permission. Links back to this site are expressly permitted by virtue of this post.

The backstory is that based on my earlier research that led to buying a Rocna 25 as my main anchor, I was prepared to purchase a Spade S100 for my secondary. Since the sale of the Spade company a couple of years ago, prices in the US have gone through the roof and the new manufacturer has a poor reputation for delivery. Apparently this is why West Marine no longer carries Spade; if your local WM has one in the size you want buy it. After discussions with a fellow I hold in high regard who is pretty objective, I was prepared to pull the trigger on a Raya Tempest. Craig Smith heard of my search and made me a great deal on a brand-new product - the Rocna Stowable.

So I have a Rocna Stowable 25, unit number 1, in the bed of my truck. I'll post more pictures of the bits as I do the installation, but the real story will be after I stick it in Chesapeake mud a few times and compare the performance to my original Rocna 25.

Here is some more of the story:
QuoteA new anchor is on its way to Auspicious.

I really like my Rocna 25. it has been a wonderful anchor that allows me to sleep well on the hook. I have great confidence in it. I do want a second anchor for times when the weather is really really bad. Storing anchors on a boat is not a simple matter. One of the few things I don't like about my HR is that I really can't keep two anchors stored on the bow. Iif geometry allowed i would do so despite the weight issues.

I started out looking at Spade anchors since they can be dissassembled for easier storage. I think highly of Spade. It appears that the designer of the Spade anchor was involved in the design of a new anchor from Anchorlatina called Raya; that anchor looks pretty good also.

In response to some whining on my part on an Internet forum Craig Smith, the son of the Rocna anchor designer, sent me a note to let me know that Rocna is releasing a version of their anchor that can be taken apart for storage. They call it "the Stowable."

Spade anchors have become increasingly expensive in the USA and more difficult to get delivery of. The Raya was looking pretty good, even with delivery from South America. Rocna came up with quite a good price that only required me to pick it up at Baltimore-Washington International Airport and manage customs myself. My experience with Rocna made this a pretty simple decision.

The first picture shows a Rocna 25 Stowable and a Rocna 20 Stowable.

this photo pending permission to distribute from the copyright holder

The second picture shows the joint where the shank and the blade come together.

this photo pending permission to distribute from the copyright holder

As I have said, I like you guys, so further posts will be simultaneously here and on my own (sporadic) blog and then other places.

By the why, I'm still looking for a co-author on an anchor-related professional paper who is a civil or ocean engineer with good saturated soils experience.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

You bastage... I didn't know that Rocna had come up with a stowable. :) Just curious, how much was it, if you don't mind saying?
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Auspicious

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 12, 2009, 04:25:00 PM
You bastage... I didn't know that Rocna had come up with a stowable. :) Just curious, how much was it, if you don't mind saying?

Ha. Consider this a product announcement. Craig is sailing in the Antarctic with his Dad so he can't stop me. *grin*

I paid about 710 USD for a 25 including the fees and such to ransom it out of bonded storage. As far as I know full production hasn't started yet, pricing isn't really in place, the Canadian folks aren't trained for manufacturing yet, and I probably got a reasonable break because Craig knows I'm vocal on anchors and write reasonably well. Isn't that open and forthright enough for you?

That said, I think this is an exciting option for the American market.

In many ways I would like to have had the Raya to compare, but when I bought my first Rocna they were pretty much an unknown. The Raya would be a slightly bigger risk than I accepted with the first Rocna. We'll see.

I expect to get the anchor on this week and get it wet by the end of the weekend.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

Umm...don't forget to tighten the bolt and lock nut. :) I'd hate to see you come back with just the stock.   BTW, the news about the new Rocna Stowable has been broken over on Sailnet. :)

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

Looks good.  I bet it will work as well as a regular Rocna, it does not look like the bolt is likely to fail.

Price will probably come down in production, but they have been on the high side of the scale all along.

I bet it will work, but I will stick with my Manson Supreme.  Never has dragged, (drug?) better certification, and 1/3 the price.

Good luck, enjoy your new anchor Dave.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Auspicious

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 12, 2009, 05:15:27 PM
Umm...don't forget to tighten the bolt and lock nut.

I shouldn't need to do that, in fact I'm planning to do some playing with the bolt and nut removed.

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 12, 2009, 05:15:27 PMBTW, the news about the new Rocna Stowable has been broken over on Sailnet.

I'll send you a bill for drinks for anyone who shows up to play this weekend, unless you just want to send me a credit card number, expiration, and the secret number ...
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

Let us know how it goes... and no, I'm not paying for the drinks... the way you drink, you'd bankrupt me yourself. :) Besides, you've got the shiny new toy...not me...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Auspicious

Still, it would have been nice to let me post where I wanted in my own time, and if you're going to post photos to host them on your own servers where I don't have to pay for the bandwidth.

My feelings of community are a good bit less strong. You make your choices and you pay the price.

Not cool.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

I can host the photos if that's an issue.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Auspicious

I've taken down the two photos I did not personally take. When the photographer gets back from sailing in Antarctica I'll ask for permission to post them.

In the meantime, my photographs are copyright Auspicious 2009 and may not be reposted without permission.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Tim

Hmmm..with the photos still up it is hard to get a real picture of what they look like, I guess I will have to go over to Sail-net to see them. ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Auspicious

I'll be testing this weekend. Open invitation to anyone who wants to come play.

Dan - it would be best if you don't come. I'm not very happy with you.

sail fast, sail far, eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Godot

I might be around this weekend, Dave.  Hmmm... play on a boat in the cold, or do house repairs.  Tough choice.

Gawd, I miss sailing.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

It's too darn cold. I'm staying home and making lasagna tonight and baking bread tomorrow.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay