Anchors, anchors again, & more anchors....

Started by Mr. Fixit, January 06, 2006, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

I am building an anchor platform for the bow of my Columbia 30. I am at the point where I want to buy the anchor before completing. All my sailing in the past was weekends and very short trips. Since I intend to stay out several years I want to equipt with the best set up for anchoring. I will oversize for safety. My question is --should I spend the money on a CQR or does anyone have experience with other types of "plow " anchors. I will also carry a Danforth however I prefer a plow for easier storage on the platform.-- any suggestions?

Amorous

I have a 22 lb. bruce and a 13 lb. danforth both on the sprit.  The danforth lives under it and the bruce tight on its roller.  I also have a 25 lb cqr but changed it out with the bruce.  I don't really like plow anchors of this small size as they don't seem to have enough surface area/weight to set very well except in sand or small gravel.  I am going to get a 35 lb plow instead and that should work better.  It seems that is about the minimum size for a really usable plow.

CapnK

Mr Fixit -

On my last boat, I had one of the unusual but VERY effective Bulwagga anchors. Though they were designed for use in rock and weed, I found it works *great* in sand and mud bottoms as well. They are not the cheapest nor the most expensive anchors, but in my experience with it (2+ years) it always set instantly or very fast, held good even when the boat swung on the tides, and came out easily even after lying to it for 36-48 hours. My experiences with that Bulwagga made me a customer for life. I plan on getting one for this boat, eventually - it is not a priority since I have lots of other boatthings to get in the meanwhile, but there *will be* a Bull on the bow when I cast off on my first long trip. :)

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

I too have a Bruce about 17# with 30' chain attached on the bow pulpit.  I have really had good results with it, even in some nasty little blows.  I get up and down several times to check and I am always in the same place.  It sets easily and resets quickly, even when the wind keeps shifting.  I anchor in a lot of mud and sand.  After a hurricane, I decided to beef up a little.  This summer I bought a 35# Claw and have another 60' of chain in 2 -30' pieces I can add when needed.  It is currently in the Lazarette.  Do not particularly want to haul this one up every time I anchor.   I am still trying to figure out the best way to easily access either when needed.  Tough to switch out in nasty blows and rough seas.  I am a small female, so that can be limiting at times with strength.   I love seeing what others have done.   
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Solace

Hmmm - plow. The CQR has the knuckle joint if you will, giving it an edge to stay put. If I only had one anchor it would be the CQR, my second would be a Bruce anchor, which I have had a creat deal of success with a variety of bottom surfaces.

If your Columbia is on the heavy side (as mine is) I would pay the extra money for the CQR. As for chain - you'll doubtlessly hear as many answers on this as people you ask - a good rule of thumb - carry at least as much chain as the total length of your boat.

My two cents.

John

Mr. Fixit

Does anyone have any experience with "Kingston" anchors--They are made in Canada or the company that imports them is in Canada. I am not sure of details. The price of their CQR type anchor is very reasonable if the quality is there.

GordMay

I've used the Kingston brand of "Danforth" Style lightweight anchors.  The quality is excellent, although I much prefer the lighter (larger) Fortress lightweights over steel.
Never used their "CQR" style.
Gord May
~~_/)_~~

Skipper Dave

The boat came with a danforth and we had problems with it dragging.  Got a  oversized "Claw" brand kinda look like a Bruce or CQR (forgot the weight) holds great.

-------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

GordMay

Over more than 20 years of cruising, I've happily used Fortress, Kingston, Danforth, CQR, Delta & Bruce anchors, on boats under 29Ft. loa.

I've found that "DELTA" anchor is not only cheaper (per #), but also a better anchor, than the CQR.   Lewmar (Simpson-Lawrence) manufactures both, and will "privately" agree.  The DELTA has a much higher fluke area to weight ratio, greater fluke area, more of its fluke area in the rear quarter, and more angle on the back of the flukes - all desirable attributes in a "stockless" anchor (like the pivoting fluke Danforth & Fortress lightweights).

The Delta would be my first choice in deep or cold waters, where it's difficult to "look" and/or "dive" your anchor.

The Fortress is an excellent choice for shallower, warmer waters where you could hand set it.  It's sometimes a little difficult to get a firm set, but once set it's performance is unmatched.  Weight being an issue with smaller cruisers, the Fortress provides much more holding power per pound than any other anchor.

FWIW,
Gord May

Gord May
~~_/)_~~

CapnK

Dan -

It will be very interesting to hear your experiences with the Rocna. I know a number of people who wonder about those, since they are talked about/hyped pretty regularly on a number of sailing websites by the fella who owns the company, but there is not a whole lot of first-person experiences with them that I've seen.

And, BTW - Welcome aboard! I looked at your blog/site briefly, it looks good, I will have to check it out in more depth later (pardon the pun ;D )...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

I am in the process of installing my primary ground tackle system... it should be pretty good once it is all setup... but it's going to take a while to install it all. 

The primary anchor will be the 33 lb. Rocna, with 30' of 5/16" G4 high-test galvanized chain, and 150' of 5/8" three-strand nylon.  This is probably a bit overkill for most people, but I plan on some longer cruises than most, and will be very dependent on the Pretty Gee staying where I put her. 

For the rest of the ground tackle system, I have a pivoting bow roller, a four-inch mooring bitt, a chain tensioner, an SL Anchorman manual windlass with drum and gypsy and a chain pipe.  Mounting the ground tackle will take a bit of thought, as the Pretty Gee has a four-foot retractable bowsprit for the screacher, and the genoa furling gear is right at the bow chainplate.  I'll probably have to mount the bow roller a bit to one side, but we'll see how it works out.  I'll post the details on my blog.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

What is your secondary system? Or will you put all your faith in the Roca?
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

I have a 14 lb. Danforth, with 8' of chain and 100' of 1/2" three-strand nylon for use as a lunch hook/kedge anchor.  At some point, I'd like to get a slightly larger (20 lb. or so) Danforth, for use as a secondary, and then use the 14 lb. as a backup.

Paranoia, when it comes to the ground tackle for my boat, is a requirement.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Auspicious

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on May 17, 2006, 04:49:06 AM
The one I just bought is a 33 lb. Rocna, which is out of New Zealand.  It is a next-generation anchor, like the Spade, and I will be happy to report back after getting some use out of it.

Any feedback on the Rocna?
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

AdriftAtSea

Actually, I'm very happy with it. 33 lb. Rocna on 30' 5/16" G4-High-test Chain, and 180' 5/8" rope.  Main problem is that hauling it up by hand really sucks.  I'll be really happy when the windlass installation is completed. 

The real problem I've found with it is that it tends to bring up about 20 lbs. of mud and sand with it, every time I've used it...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Joe Pyrat

I've got a 33# CQR, a 35# Bruce and a small Danforth for a lunch hook.  I'm seriously thinking about adding a fisherman type anchor which I can disassemble and store in the bilge as hurricane insurance.   The anchor platform has not been mounted yet, but it is finished.

Under construction...

Finished...

Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

CapnK

Looks great!!! Very nice job. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Fortis

Thought I would throw in a pic of the SARCA for general edumication...

Incredibly effective, love it.....But it is a bastage to store belowdecks with that huge hoop on the back. As a "bull bar" for a permanent bow mounted fitting it is ideal.

Alex.

Joe Pyrat

Quote from: CapnK on September 17, 2006, 10:57:59 AM
Looks great!!! Very nice job. :)

Actually, thank Tim Lackey (http://lackeysailing.com).  Tim does amazing things with wood, not to mention almost everything else you find on an old boat.  :)
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

CapnK

Joe - Agreed - Tim is a master craftsman! {insert 'thumbs up' icon}

Alex - Cool! There has been a long ongoing discussion at the Ariel site about various "2nd Gen" anchors, it is good to hear from someone with actual experience using the Sarca.

Manufacturers get online and tout their products, but actual customer experience is a better indicator, IMO. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)