Anyone heading to Abaco soon? Seeking flotilla buddies...

Started by Bonzai, February 17, 2013, 04:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonzai

that may be planning trip south in the next few weeks. Looking to boat in company with other cruisers not on a tight schedule. Destination doesn't really matter as long as going south from Brunswick area. 

s/v Faith

No help in heading south, but north bound from the VI's right now, maybe see you in the Bahamas.

Fair winds
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Bonzai

Will try to keep up with your trip Faith. I am hoping to be around Abaco as destination and plan on hanging out anywhere from 2 to 4 wks , possibly more possibly less, depends on weather etc. Hope to cyu out there!

Kettlewell

Do you happen to know where exactly the cut off is now for paying $300 to enter the Bahamas? I know they changed it from 35 feet down to 30 feet, but nobody seems to know for sure whether it means that 30 feet pays $150 or $300. In other words is it "up to 30 feet pays $150," or is "over 30 feet pays $300?"

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Kettlewell

Thanks Frank! The reason I ask is that this is what is written on the Explorer ChartBooks website, and they usually seem to have the best information:

QuoteThe policy for vessels clearing into the Bahamas is as follows:  A pleasure vessel arriving in the Bahamas shall be subject to a fee of $150 for boats under 30? and $300 for boats over 30?.

Of course, that statement doesn't answer the question as to what the fee is if you are exactly 30 feet. In the past it used to always be the case that if a boat was called something like a "BeesKnees 30" the boat's actual length would be like 29 feet 2 inches, but these days it might be advantageous to call that a 29-footer since everything seems to be priced by the foot.