Summer 2013 plans????????????????????

Started by Frank, April 17, 2013, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Whats everyone up to? Where ya heading? What projects are ya working on?

Rick and I have trailersailed the NE a fare bit over the last 8-9 yrs. This year we're thinkin of trailering our lil cat boats to Mooselookmeguntic Lake in Maine. Looks interesting and the fishing is supposedly good to boot. Anyone ever been there?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

>:( >:( >:(

Whatever plans I have may keep getting set back due to vehicle issues.

(1) On last year's trip to Maine, my trailer lights worked fine.  Over the winter, I wired a trailer for the children's Opti, and lo and behold, no right turn/brake signal off the tow vehicle.  Like magic.  (Dontcha just love electronics on vehicles?)

(2) Ordered a new module and installed it over the weekend.  Tow vehicle lights working as planned, went to test on 'bigger' trailer boat, and it's a MESS.  I may have to completely rewire the trailer.  Arrrg.

(3) Something broke on the 4wd of the tow vehicle...not a show stopper at this point, but I don't like driving a truck that ain't quite 'right.'  Double Arrrrg.

I'm in 1 step forward, 3 steps backward mode.  Yep, Spring is here, the wx has been GORGEOUS, and I'm chasing vehicle phantoms.

Thanks for the vent ....    ;D ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

In June, if I can get the new boat, Bayfield 29 "Seeker" together in time (I'm in the middle of a complete electrical and plumbing overhaul...ugh), I will be making the trip to Martha's Vineyard from Baltimore, then Block Island, then who knows before returning. This is pretty much all the vacation time I have left, so I hope to make it count.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

s/v Faith

Out cruising since November, still am...

When (?) I get back, going to haul out and re-rig Faith.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Well..... It looks as though the Ariel will be finished this summer for sure, all my electrical and plumbing done, hull painted, most all hardware on. Doing some fun finish work inside, still have the non-slip to do on the decks, and of course somehow lift the mast  and check the rigging.

But I am still not yet sure of where I will be splashing her. We are going to take the RV and sea kayaks up to the West coast of Vancouver this summer to do some exploring for future sailing spots. At the same time we will be investigating chartering a small trawler for doing further up the Inside Passage. If that looks likely, we may then just put the Ariel on the SF Bay for the time being. Or...maybe Sea of Cortez  :o

And before all that (in fact in two weeks) we will be doing a non-sailing trip ti Fiji ;D  Originally I had planned a charter there and also going to see Michael Homsany. Unfortunately the charter outfit flaked out after I made all the other reservations and Michael will not be there either. :(
But we will make the best of it, staying for one week in a beach house near Savusavu and the second week on a private island surrounded by a Marine Sanctuary reef off Vanua Levu.

So all in all not a bad summer ahead.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

marujo_sortudo

Mentioned elsewhere, but we're living aboard an cruising.  Near Oriental NC right now, working north to Baltimore by the end of May, then either Vineyard Haven or Brooklin, ME by July 4 if all goes well.  Summer/Fall in Maine followed by a winter of boat projects.  New dinghy (that can get on deck,) and maybe a wind vane...