Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

BC waters engineless?

Started by limpyweta, April 16, 2013, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limpyweta

Hi!

I'm looking for more specific accounts of those who've sailed, drifted, and/or rowed around parts of Vancouver Island, in a keelboat without an engine, to make a passage and not daysail. Any leads may, in some way, help to determine how probable, and practical, myself sailing, in this way, would be.

I'm trying to make a number of trips, to certain old growth forests by Gilford Island and on Vancouver Island, happen, planning and practicing as if there were no engine on the boat, because there may not be one. Some of these may happen in the next 18 to 36 months. Going engineless for me is from an interest in the sailing, the geography, meteorology, and oceanography of the area, and a huge part of the year right before any of these happen will be just towards planning and practicing for these trips. I'd like to spend at least 1500 more hours of practice afloat somewhere around Puget Sound.

And I'm looking for folks or skippers and their boats that may be interested in crewing, somehow, whatever the trip will look like by the time it comes around. Way more info is on my blog, poppdbubb.blogspot.com.

Thanks Yall!

-Alec

Frank

Welcome. The area is beautiful Alec. You are talking about an adventure without an engine with the tidal currents and winds. It is doable but a bit too much of an adventure for this lad  ;D Enjoy yourself and post pics of your travels.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

Those are some exciting and ambitious plans to some absolutely gorgeous areas.

My own experience both kayaking and sailing the Inside Passage ares in the Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound and northward is that going engine-less will be quite a challenge.

All areas above Desolation require passage through a number of tidal rapids that require precise timing, typically without a lot of wind available because of the protected sounds.

The west coast of Vancouver will provide you with more wind to sail, but one has to keep a vigilant eye on the weather as it can kick up quickly. Local knowledge of protected anchorages and the ability to get there well anchored is a must.

I am not saying it can't be done at all, because it has for sure, it will require a lot of skill and patience.  :)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

ralay

Rowing to Alaska and Other True Stories by Wayne McLennan is a sweet little book if you can ever get a hold of a copy.  The eponymous anecdote is about the author and a friend rowing up the Inside Passage in an open dory.  Maybe you can get yourself some oars.  ;D 

Frank

I'm wayyyy toooo old to be rowing against a 12+ knot tidal current  ;D :D ;) :o
I agree with Tim...a trip engineless is "possible" but with a lot of skill and planning.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Frank on April 17, 2013, 08:44:30 AM

I agree with Tim...a trip engineless is "possible" but with a lot of skill and planning.

And a GREAT deal of patience.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

rorik

Row to Alaska by Wind and Oar was  written by Pete and Nancy Ashenfelter. I spoke with Nancy about 15 years ago because I was contemplating a similar trip in my engineless `Frisco FLyer.
Very interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/Row-Alaska-By-Wind-Oar/dp/0945989229
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

rorik

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Bill W

Look for this book.

Sailing Back in Time by Maria Coffey and Dag Goering 1996 and updated 2002

from the back cover:
"Maria Coffey and Dag Goering embark on a three month journey by wooden boat along Canada's west coast. Leading the way are legendary boat builders and sailors Allen and Sharie Farrell on their last voyage aboard the China Cloud. Powered by only wind and sculling oars, they take Coffey and Goering into their old haunts, places where they homesteaded, fished and built boats."

These folks did sail their 3 masted junk rigged vessel all over the area. With bilge keels, no motor they go into all kinds of places. Very patient, they knew when to anchor, and wait.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Bill
Makin' Time
Montgomery 17
Ontario

limpyweta

Some other things about these trips, now updated with more details on the blog:

If someone is thinking of any variation of a route or destinations to take out or add to the trip itineraries, suggestions are appreciated.

Local water taxis can swap crew out in many places all over the island and by Queen Charlotte Strait.

At the very least, a quarter of such passage making time on the boat will involve waiting for conditions to allow getting to the next reliable anchorage. This may be very well over half the passage making time. This could be time to work on many sorts of things, especially if it's in a usual mobile or wifi network (not likely). Crew could collectively get a satellite phone off ebay or something and use that sometimes. It could then be sold if the batteries and mobile network will still be working and compatible with it, unlike a rental. I may get one myself, or some high-powered VHF system, whatever would enable myself, in a forested valley, to, by chance, talk to someone in an emergency.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: limpyweta on April 30, 2013, 07:39:25 PM

This could be time to work on many sorts of things, especially if it's in a usual mobile or wifi network (not likely).

I have personally found those days cabin-bound due to weather to draw me to reading or napping...not working.

Maybe it's a self discipline problem... ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain