NC Senate Bill 58 - a Tiered Boating Registration Fee

Started by Captain Smollett, March 14, 2013, 11:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Kettlewell on March 15, 2013, 12:29:55 PM

Here's an interesting report on the value of commercial and sportfishing in the U.S. It says in there that sportfishing generates $2 billion in sales and is responsible for 18,000 jobs in North Carolina alone. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/mediacenter/2013/03/07_noaa_report_finds_commercial_and_recreational.html

Interesting.  This meshes with some numbers I've seen.  2 billion in annual sales probably really does equate with a hundred million or so in tax revenues (between income and sales taxes alone), which is more than enough money to keep an inlet open.

I don't disagree with the notion of letting it all go...letting nature take its course with the shoaling, but there would be an economic impact to a LOT of coastal towns and communities.  That potential impact is hard to ignore.

I guess one question for us, here, is how tightly are we (as cruisers) linked to these fishing industries?

To me, all of us boaters are, um, in the same boat.  I don't think it does any of us much good to fragment the community of people that depend and/or enjoy the waterways.  However, that does seem like that's what is happening.

United we stand, as they say.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Kettlewell

A lot of times with new boating fees I am suspicious they throw out big numbers to test the water, with every intention of dialing the fees back in final legislation. Then they can brag about how they protected boaters by turning back huge fee increases! You still end up paying more. Frankly though, wouldn't it be easier to administer, fairer, and probably raise more money too if they instead required documented boats to register also though they just have to show a sticker, no numbers, like is done in many states? Then maybe they could have a sliding scale of fees that was simpler and more in line with other nearby states.

CapnK

Fellers, I'm gonna put on my "Owner Hat" and lock this one down now...

It was information which needed getting out, but the tone is starting to go "political", and sailFar from Day 1 has never been about politics.

Thanks for your contributions, no hard feelings I hope, and let's *all* hope for the best possible outcome for NC natives and transients alike.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Update, news only no discussion:

27 April:  SB 58 is dead in committee.  There are other bills in the State legislature designed to increase money for dredging, but not via increasing boat registrations.

Edit, 8 May: Bill back alive, passed NC Senate.

Note to transients passing through the state:  New version effects Federally Documented Vessels AND will (may?) require boats to be NC registered IF THEY SPEND 90 DAYS IN THE STATE regardless of State of ownership.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain