News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Motioneaze

Started by dannyjoh, April 11, 2013, 05:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyjoh

I went to the Strictly Sail show in Oakland this morning and came across a booth promoting Motioneaze.    http://www.motioneaze.com.  I never knew about this product, but apparently it has been around for many years.  It is a natural product-based motion sickness remedy that is supposed to alleviate motion sickness within a few minutes of applying it behind the ears (even after symptoms start).   Has anyone tried this product?  How was your experience?  I am as prone to motion sickness as I like sailing.   I manage the problem with off-the-shelf or prescription medications and ginger-based product, and nothing has been "satisfactory".   

Kettlewell

This can be an endless discussion. My wife is prone to seasickness and the best she has ever found is Stugeron, not generally available in the USA, but readily available elsewhere in the world. It is the only one that works after you are feeling sick, and doesn't have the side effects of other prescription drugs. Ginger helps some. Even the wrist bands help some. Bonine and other over the counter meds. help some. But, when conditions are severe, Stugeron is the one she swears by. She only uses it when necessary, and tries not to use it most of the time because there are potential bad effects. Use at your own risk.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Kettlewell on April 11, 2013, 06:20:18 PM

the best she has ever found is Stugeron,

For HER.

That's one of the 'problems' with seasickness and remedies.  Everyone is different.  What works for one person may or may not work for someone else.

dannyjoh, the only way to know if/how it works for you is to try it.  I could tell you "yeah, man, I've used it and it works great" and that won't be helpful to you.

For my own part, I've found the 'holistic' remedies are indeed very helpful.  Little or no alcohol prior to going to sea, limiting carbonated beverages, plenty or rest (see sailfar discussions on 'good offshore boats' as 'good' relates to rest and proper comfort), eat the right kinds of foods...lifestyle remedies we might call them.

The only times I ever had serious motion sickness:  (1) on a ferry crossing from Denmark to Sweden...the North Sea was "up" that day, I was in drinking coca cola; (2) Totally exhausted (several days in a row averaging 2 hours sleep per night) on the A-30 delivery with CapnK ... he gave me some of those behind the ear drops and they worked quite well, but they may have been helped (**) ... and (3) on a small plane on approach to a mountain top airstrip in West Virginia;  the pilot was getting jostled like mad, and a lady on board was praying fervently.

Also, one has to consider what motion sickness is physiologically.  It's a 'confusion' in the brain that results from inconsistent inputs from the inner ear and the eyes.  The eyes see a relatively stable environment, the inner ear feels chaotic motion....brain does not know how to process, turmoil ensues.

Focusing on the horizon really helps ... me. This was also part of my "recovery" on the A-30 delivery (** from above).  Fresh air and a beautiful view of the horizon works wonders.  Plenty of rest, staying well hydrated with the right kinds of fluids (ie, water is best) and well fed (but not overstuffed) with good, nutritious foods....

Prevention is better than curing.

There's no panacea, unfortunately.  I hope you find something that works for you.  It is truly a miserable condition.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Mario G

Ginger cookies and ginger ale seems to work for anyone I've had aboard.

SalientAngle

Quote from: Mario G on April 11, 2013, 08:25:46 PM
Ginger cookies and ginger ale seems to work for anyone I've had aboard.

or, bourbon with a short chaser of ginger ale and a snapper to boot  ;)

CharlieJ

I was feeling just fine, and snacked on a few Ginger Snaps. The Ginger Snaps made me violently ill within 8 or 9 minutes of eating them. As soon as I got rid of them , I was fine again.

Slices of raw ginger, from the grocery store, work extremely well for Laura. She cuts a very thin slice and puts it between her cheek and gum.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

marujo_sortudo

Crystalized ginger (as a snack), ginger candies, and tea made with just cut up pieces of raw ginger and honey all work great for me, as does avoiding acidic foods, alcohol, and greasy food, starting the day before going offshore.  Boring old starch (plain rice, bread, or whatever) will ease my stomach, too.  That said, seasickness is very rare for me anyway.  Anne gets by pretty good with the Bonine which she takes as soon as she feels the precursors of seasickness or just knows that the motion of the boat that day will get to her eventually.  Makes her a bit drowsy, but actually helps with sleeping shifts as she's not a good napper.  Living aboard and getting "sea legs" has made a big difference for both of us.  I barely notice the motion of the boat anymore, except when it changes...

Oldrig

I tried Sturgeron on the return trip from Bermuda, where it's sold over the counter. It did not seem to help. Crystallized ginger, ginger tincture and ginger capsules all seem to help me a little bit, but mostly I just stay topside for the first day of a long voyage.

Bonine, Marrazine and the like are not a good choice if you're an older male. It affects the plumbing in an adverse way ... just sayin'.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627