News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Hunter 23

Started by Sunset, April 18, 2013, 05:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunset

I found a Hunter 23 1985 locally and I think would make me a nice boat to mess around in till my 28 is finished. Anyone had any experience with these boats? Only thing I didn't like was the main sheet traveler was on the bridge deck right in front of the companion way.
84 Islander 28

Tim

Getting another boat to sail while working on the 28 is a good idea I think. It works for me. It does slow the process out a little because sometimes sailing sounds like more fun than working  ;), but it also keeps the juices flowing to eventually get the job done.

Regarding the Hunter, I don't know a lot about them, other than they are a production boat made for the masses. You might look for some info on them over at TSBB http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi

Tim
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

jotruk

A friend and I sailed one in the Texas 200 last year. I handled real well and was easy to control. My friend and I stayed on the boat for 6 days and we are a couple of large guys.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

CharlieJ

Don't know a thing about the Hunter, but on the traveler across the bridge deck- Necessity is rigged like that and it's a non problem. Docked or anchored, I move the sheet all the way to one side. Really has never been a problem  

Only picture I have of her cockpit showing the traveler. I built the bridge deck- didn't have one at all originally, and added the traveler. Used to have end boom sheeting that was terrible.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Sunset

Thanks, this encouraging enough to do some more investigating.

Charlie on the Hunter it is right at the cabin back on the bridge deck, don't know if that will make much difference.
84 Islander 28

jotruk

We had the set up on the Hunter 23 that we took on the Texas 200 and it did not cause any problems. And I agree with Charlie that mid boom is the best place for the main sheet set up.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Oldrig

FWIW, Creme Brulee, my Cape Dory 25D came with mid-boom sheeting and a traveler on the bridge deck, added by some previous owner. While it interferes with my wife's favorite sitting spot and means that I cannot install a dodger, I find the set-up very handy for singlehanding.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627