Flicka, Orions to be built in NC...

Started by SalientAngle, April 19, 2013, 08:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SalientAngle

Dave Simeon of Dawson Creek Boatworks, announced at the Oriental boat show that he?s going to be making Flickas and Orion sailboats in Pamlico County. Dave?s bought the molds for the distinctive vessels formerly made by Pacific Seacraft. The new company, Ocean Craft, will operate out of Wayfarer?s Cove Marina and will give the county a production-boat business. 35 years ago, the Flicka was introduced at a gathering in Newport Beach, California. Dave Simeon says it may be a year before he has the first one made in Pamlico County. :)

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Quote from: SalientAngle on April 19, 2013, 08:42:58 AM
35 years ago, the Flicka was introduced at a gathering in Newport Beach, California. Dave Simeon says it may be a year before he has the first one made in Pamlico County. :)

Actually the Flicka was introduced in Rudder Magazine in 1972. It won a design contest for a hull/deck to be built for $1000. Originally designed and a few built, from Ferro cement. Bruce Bingham did the design. Oh and it was a gaff rig in the beginning.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SalientAngle

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 19, 2013, 04:25:35 PM
35 years ago, the Flicka was introduced at a gathering in Newport Beach, California. Dave Simeon says it may be a year before he has the first one made in Pamlico County. :)

Actually the Flicka was introduced in Rudder Magazine in 1972. It won a design contest for a hull/deck to be built for $1000. Originally designed and a few built, from Ferro cement. Bruce Bingham did the design. Oh and it was a gaff rig in the beginning.

yeppers, but not with the pacific seacraft molds that have been purchased...

quick edit to add link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Seacraft

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 19, 2013, 04:25:35 PM

Not only can I verify this as correct...

BUT! I have also seen a fero Flicka in fero.

And, I met Bruce Bingham and when I asked him about it he told me that was the way it happened.  Apparently several were built from fero cement.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Any one every have a VW bug? They weren't warm in winter, they weren't fast, they certainly weren't luxurious....BUT there was just something about them that always put a smile on your face and makes ya wish ya still owned one. Thats a Flicka   ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

The ferro technique was interesting. Lots of designs used chicken wire. Bruce specified hi tensile welded mesh. One layer could be reversed and that placed the longitudinal wires next to each other- 3  wires deep instead of 4. Two layers of that, then plaster, gave you a 3/8 thick hull. innovative for the time.

I have Katy Burke's "Complete Live-Aboard Book" partly written while she and Bruce lived aboard a Flicka  named Sabrina . Seriously considered building one- went with a Cross 35 tri instead.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Maybe Kurt can chime in and let us know if Sabrina is still in Georgetown....

...when I mentioned her current state to Bruce he got upset and did not want to talk about her... Must be hard knowing she was in a bad way.  Hope someone is able to get her and bring her back.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

She was neglected on the hook for many years here. At one point I took some pictures and put them online in hopes that she might get "rescued", perhaps even by Bruce - I know people relayed the info to him back then, but I don't think he is set financially in a way which allows it. Although, as Frank mentioned, for as many people have smiled on sight at a Flicka, if Bruce had a nickel for each, well, he'd be hugely wealthy - and deservedly so, IMO.

Last time I boarded Sabrina prolly 7-8 years ago, she was leaking from multiple places on deck and cabin trunk, so her insides were dirty, tattered, wet and moldy. Sad looking, she was so neglected that her 'sprit had literally fallen off...

She is no longer anchored here; now she sits neglected - but on land at least - at the owners house, somewhere up in Murrells Inlet, SC. I am fairly certain that he does not have the financial resources to fix her up.

A mean fate, but I guess there is always hope for her, so long as she hasn't been broken up. And as neglectful as the current owner was/is, he is enough a sailor that wouldn't let *that* happen, I don't think...

Good to know the design is not disappearing!

I do wonder what the price tag will look like on the new ones. Last time PSC was tentatively accepting orders, they were asking $85K for a bare-bones boat - basically hull and spars only, IIRC. The web page stated that if they got 5 deposits, they would resume production. I think they only got 2 or 3...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)