Our "planned" voyage, AKA 2+2 on a 22.

Started by Travelnik, May 06, 2013, 05:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travelnik

I got the Changing Course book by Debra Cantrell. Maybe it will help both of us in out planning for the trip.

We still have time before we do this anyway, because I'm still restoring the boat. That will give us more time to talk about everything and make our tentative plans.

After all, it's not like we're giving up everything and sailing off into the sunset. We'll still have the land base and vehicles. Even if we did decide to become full-time liveaboards, we'll rent the house out for additional income, so it will always be there.

My wife will have that security, and we'll still be able to have the adventures.

I like how the Pardeys put it, "We'll do it for as long as we're having fun."
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

marujo_sortudo

We just did part of this trip from Brooklin, Maine to St. Marys, Georgia.  We're now heading north and tied up to our favorite free dock in Fell's Point, Baltimore.  You can sail much of the AICW.  Heck, we sailed a lot in very restricted spaces.  Narrow canals when the wind was right, even.  We've sailed behind Jekyll Island, Georgia; Adam's Creek Canal, NC; East River/heck's Gate, bridges, and some other tight spots.  Pick favorable winds + currents and you can put in really good, fun runs.  Your shallow draft and the ease of kedging off such a small boat, should make you fairly fearless if you practice your sailing skills continually.  It's just like mastering any other skill, do lots of drills in easy, open conditions to get your sailing skills up and then only push slightly past what your confident doing.  Keep the motor idling in neutral if you feel like you need a safety net.  Have an anchor ready to drop in 10 seconds for the same reason.  Oh, and always have a lot of awareness for the big boats (barges, etc.) plying the canals and be prepared to get out of their way.  Planning, patience and a good light air sail can save you a ton on fuel and be a lot more fun besides.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: marujo_sortudo on May 24, 2013, 12:21:07 PM

Planning, patience and a good light air sail can save you a ton on fuel and be a lot more fun besides.

Excellent info.  Grog for posting it.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Mario G

I hope your plans work out.   I had planned on sailing my 22 to the Bahamas but within the first year while we were learning to sail I found myself living on our 32 and missed what I think would be a great adventure.

We did sail from the Chesapeake to the keys. I'm sure your wife will be ready for a little out there coastal sailing when she sees how clear the water is Hawk channel.

Hope to see you along the way. I find working at  boat yards when I need extra cruising cash more an enjoyment then work. Things look good for finding work if you need it, depending on your skills.

I've also meet a couple on an oday 27 with 2 dogs & a cat living on it for 2+ years.