British solo sailor (72) rescued east of Kitty Hawk

Started by SalientAngle, May 09, 2013, 08:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Very cool.  Grog for posting that.

My son swims quasi-competitively, and he has expressed interest in the rescue swimmers.  That was a good video.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

SalientAngle

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 09, 2013, 10:00:43 AM
My son swims quasi-competitively, and he has expressed interest in the rescue swimmers.  That was a good video.
Bless the rescue swimmers. Sounds like a cruise to New London may be in your future.  :)

Oldrig

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 09, 2013, 10:00:43 AM

Great video. John: If your son has the strength, guts and stamina for it, I can't think or a more worthwhile ambition than becoming a rescue swimmer. Don't discourage that ambition.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Oldrig on May 09, 2013, 04:37:46 PM

Great video. John: If your son has the strength, guts and stamina for it, I can't think or a more worthwhile ambition than becoming a rescue swimmer. Don't discourage that ambition.

--Joe

He's pretty young, now.  He swims on a team, but some days he tries harder than others.

He did get pretty excited when I told him about the rescue swimmers as a way that swimming could become his job and life.  I talked to his swim coach about it, and she said one of her former students is doing that for the CG now, and she talked about getting that person back to maybe talk to the team.

Sadly, her husband has gotten sick, though, very sick, and "extra" stuff like that had to understandably take the back seat.

Don't know if the boy will stick to it, but he is rather fascinated by the concept.  He liked the video, though he said, "it does not look as rough as it COULD be."   ;D

Ah, seeing the world through the lens of youth...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain