-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

LED Flashlights

Started by Captain Smollett, May 26, 2013, 11:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I needed a new flashlight and picked up one of these nifty little babies:

Princeton Tec AMP 1L

It's listed at 45 Lumens, which I found quite bright for picking out numbers on reflective Aids to Navigation at night.

I suspect the built-in bottle opener would prove popular with a few sailfar sailors. 

The only thing I did not like about it, and it's just a matter of getting used to it, is that the rotation for on/off is the opposite of a mag light .  So, all night I was trying to turn it on-er or off-er.

It runs on 2 AAA batteries (I have plenty of rechargables in that size).

They do make brighter ones, but I found 45 Lumens to be a good compromise between 'reach' and backscatter.

Any other comments on good LED flashlights?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 26, 2013, 11:29:26 PM
I needed a new flashlight and picked up one of these nifty little babies:

Princeton Tec AMP 1L

It's listed at 45 Lumens, which I found quite bright for picking out numbers on reflective Aids to Navigation at night.

I suspect the built-in bottle opener would prove popular with a few sailfar sailors. 

The only thing I did not like about it, and it's just a matter of getting used to it, is that the rotation for on/off is the opposite of a mag light .  So, all night I was trying to turn it on-er or off-er.

It runs on 2 AAA batteries (I have plenty of rechargables in that size).

They do make brighter ones, but I found 45 Lumens to be a good compromise between 'reach' and backscatter.

Any other comments on good LED flashlights?

Looks good, where did you get it, and what did you pay?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on May 27, 2013, 11:12:36 AM

Looks good, where did you get it, and what did you pay?

I got it at West Marine and I think I paid $14 for it.

Interestingly, that model is not listed on the WM web site. 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lost Farmboy

I use an Olight S20 Baton (not strictly for work related to my boat), from 0.5-470 lumens output, 2.25-1500 hrs runtime using 2x CR123A batteries. I primarily bought this for work, as I rely on having a good flashlight, and this one has the added bonus of having a fairly strong magnet on the tail, which allows me to free up my hands in some situations (though this is far less useful, at least on my boat). I buy batteries from BatteryStation to keep those costs down.

Costs: about $50 for flashlight, $3.00 per battery change

Thorough review of light can be found here:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?350715-Olight-S20-Baton-(XM-L-1x18650-2xCR123A)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-more!&p=4093439&viewfull=1#post4093439

Probably will be unable to reply for some time due to work, but I am very pleased with its performance and ability to withstand abuse.

s/v Faith

Very cool little light John,

Nice to have a good flashlight that doubles as a dive light.

Grog!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.