News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

flotation - harness - safety gear - vest

Started by skylark, June 30, 2013, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

What does sailFar wear to prevent separating oneself from the boat, and if so, to keep oneself afloat and with enough gear to last a few days in the wilderness?

Safety harness
personal flotation (CG approved)
pockets to hold a vhf radio, knife, flashlight, cash, water bottle, lightweight rain gear and insulation

I am thinking a vest for night passages, or any time really.  Also for dinghy adventures, where I might even consider carrying ultralight backpacking gear, maybe in a separate small backpack.

Is there a vest on the market that does this?

What would you put into it if you had one?

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Tim

Here is what I use;

NRS Clearwater meshback cVest

I do have a harness also, but have yet to be in conditions that required it.

I keep both a survival kit and first aid kit in waterproof bags, there is a pocket for the radio, I put a CRKT Bear Claw knife on it ;

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2765&utm_campaign=shop_comp&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=sz_CRKT_Bear_Claw_Knife-2765

There is also a strap for a beacon.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

I have an SOSpenders self inflater, with built in harness. On Tehani I installed a hard point just outside the companionway, where it can be reached from below.

The tether reaches below, so I can lay on the settee, the mast, so I can reef or hoist sail, and into the cockpit. It does NOT reach aft of the cockpit.

Offshore I rig a jack line from cockpit to bow.

If I am offshore, or sailing at night, I'm clipped on. Motto is

"DO NOT fall off the boat- if you do, you are dead" 75 miles out into the gulf of Mexico, single hand, if you do fall over, might be better to not have the PFD

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

rorik

A Spinlock harness/PFD
A Mustang PFD and a separate harness
Dual tethers about 3-1/2 feet long, eye spliced to a lock gate `biner
Folding pad eye in forward face of cockpit
Four pad eyes on coach roof - two either side of mast, two either side of companionway
Jack line is 1/4" Amsteel with eyes at both ends inside 1" hollow webbing
Jackline runs from aft coachroof padeye through forward pad eye to foredeck cleats
Lockgate `biners with a 31kN break load clip through jack line eyes onto cleats and pad eyes
I can reach everything, but I can't get past the lifelines unless the harness cuts me in half... and then, well... it probably won't matter   ;D
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....