News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Trailer cruising 2

Started by Frank, June 30, 2013, 09:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Getting the suncat ready for a trip to Maine on tuesday. Rick and I have met up in 9 or 10 places over the years. Moosehead lake in Maine is beautiful but we thought we'd try a new lake this tour so we're headed to Mooselookmeguntic Lake. Hoping for good fishing and great scenary. Lil boats are great!!! I'll post pics once we return.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Another great place to hang out.
Enjoy & please do post some pics when you have the chance.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Frank

I was telling CJ my lil suncat will have the luxury of a tiller pilot this tour. I had an old one kicking around so I rummaged through the parts bins and got it intalled. Will be a real treat singlehanding. Just got my 7 day Maine fishing license online. Ouch.....$45 !!   Hoping for a few trout in return  ;D

Frank

Back from our mini cruise to Mooselookmeguntic (wow...thats a mouthfull) Lake in Maine. Very pretty with islands, multiple bays...all surrounded by low mountains. We saw bald eagles as well as countless loons. The sailing was everything from light air to reefed down.

Frank

This is an imature bald eagle. He watched us at anchor for over 45 minutes!!
I love the lines of our lil cat boats!

Frank

Tim

Gorgeous! We are seeing a lot of Balds around here now, thanks for the pics.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

okawbow

Quote from: Tim on July 10, 2013, 08:39:33 AM
Gorgeous! We are seeing a lot of Balds around here now, thanks for the pics.
Here in Southern Illinois, we are seeing Bald eagles year round for the first time in my lifetime. At Carlyle Lake, where I sail, there are several nesting pairs. I even see eagles around small lakes, and rivers. They seem to be making a big comeback from endangered to common again.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Frank

oh ya....the autohelm was a real treat!!! Between it, the dodger and sun(rain)shade...it was down right luxury on 17ft!!!

CharlieJ

I knew you'd love it.Man, I wouldn't try to single hand in close waters (or way open waters either) without one, and I'm STILL learning how to use them with full effect.

Sheet to tiller works really great, when there's wind and open places, but in motoring, or tight channels, the tiller pilot is hard to beat. And it's also really handy for getting out of tight anchorages, while raising an anchor.  :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Beautiful photos, Frank.  :)

Your boats do look fine, with the boom gallows, and combination dodger/awnings.

Glad to see that you had a good time.

Frank

Kinda funny......Rick's boat and mine are equipped nearly the same..."twins". I keep telling him "I can't believe how much better mine looks"    ;D

Jim_ME

Undoubtedly, Frank, your boat is far superior! (Um...which one is it again...?)

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Nice pictures. That is one fine looking boat.

Noticed there aren't any pictures of fish :)
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Frank

Jim...it's the burgandy one  ;)  WAY nicer!!!! ::)

And fish....I guess there are trout and land locked salmon...but all I got were perch and a few shiny silver fish (??)about a foot long.  Instead of the $43 license, I shoulda bought steak!!! ;D

CharlieJ

I shoulda bought steak!!

Laura and I figured the fish we caught after buying our non resident Florida licenses, and a cast net (for bait) ran about $50 per fish!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

A few more.....

Pretty lines, fishing, good rain

PS...the dodger and sunshade sure made rain easier to deal with!

Frank

Simple autohelm set up. The BBQ was nice for burgers too.
We've been using these inflatable Kayaks for 5 or 6yrs now.
They store small and paddle better than you'd expect.
Easy to tell a cat boat comin at ya   ;D

CaptMac

It looks like you have not painted the bottom of your boat and I wondered how long you can cruise before you need to put it back on the trailer. Is there  big difference in time between fresh and salt water?
Thanks
Jay
Seafarer 26

Frank

There are many factors that determine how long before "green" starts to grow. Water temperature, movement, sun light, vegetation present etc.  We typically are "in" less than 2 weeks and have not had any problems a simple wash couldn't handle.