News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Good Old Boat Mag

Started by Zen, December 29, 2005, 11:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario G

I heard they did something on the Chrysler boat(s) but not since I've been reading it. does anyone know what issue?

I to should ask my accountant about a subscription. :D

CharlieJ

Mario- search here-

http://www.goodoldboat.com/books_&_gear/back_issue_cds.php

They have back issues on CD and here's a list of what's covered.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Oldrig

It's definitely one of my all-time favorites! I happen to be a refugee from the collapse of the boating magazine business, but GOB is small enough, and dependent enough on its loyal readers, that it will keep going as long as Karen and Jerry want to keep it going.

--Joe

BTW, back when the mag. biz was going strong, SAIL magazine tried to buy them out. But luckily Larson/Powlas said no to the offer.
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

s/v Faith

Quote from: Oldrig on September 12, 2010, 03:23:45 PM
It's definitely one of my all-time favorites! I happen to be a refugee from the collapse of the boating magazine business, but GOB is small enough, and dependent enough on its loyal readers, that it will keep going as long as Karen and Jerry want to keep it going.

--Joe

BTW, back when the mag. biz was going strong, SAIL magazine tried to buy them out. But luckily Larson/Powlas said no to the offer.

I had no idea.  It is pretty cool, and certainly consistent with what I know of the operation...
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Godot

I was subscribed but let my subscription lapse.  Not because I don't like the magazine; but because I am trying to get away from dead tree publications as I prep to move aboard next year.

I sent an email to them asking about plans for an electronic delivery option; and they responded that they looked into it but determined they would quickly go broke if they did this.  Too bad.  I would actually have been willing to pay full subscription price for electronic access.

After Christmas I'm getting an ebook reader (I mostly buy from Amazon so likely a Kindle, but I'm still evaluating).  I like books and magazines but space is tight.  In a perfect world they'd transmit their issues to a Kindle like some of the newspapers do. Oh, well.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Oldrig

Adam,

My dad, who turned 90 this summer, just bought himself the latest version of the Kindle.

And, reliable sources report that he told Santa to re-gift his ancient Kindle to me. I've resisted e-readers long enough, even though I spent my life working for print publications (and even owning a print shop in Maine for a while).

Perhaps that's why I've been out of work for more than a year!

Anyway, enjoy your e-reader, and Merry Christmas!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

s/v Faith

Quote from: psyche on February 16, 2008, 01:08:50 PM
For those who may have ideas of converting a quarter berth to a cockpit locker there is an article in the new issue of Good Old Boat written by James Baldwin about doing this in my 8.7 Columbia. I thought some of you might  find this of interest. Dan

Dan,

Maybe you are still subscribed to this thread, I hope so.  Did you ever go cruising in that fine little ship of yours?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Godot

Good Old Boat is now doing digital subscriptions. I'm back in... :)
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

Quote from: Godot on June 17, 2013, 03:11:29 PM
Good Old Boat is now doing digital subscriptions. I'm back in... :)

+1
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Travelnik

I just got the free print sample in the mail yesterday, and it was an instant transport to the early 80's, when I was getting serious about boats.

It carried me back to the days of subscribing to every boating magazine I could...Small Boat Journal, Practical Sailor, Wooden Boat, Sail, Cruising World, Yachting, and any others I could find.

Plus the catalogs! I sent for all of them (that were free of course!  :D ). Luger Boats, Glen-L Marine, Bruce Roberts, West Marine...

I couldn't wait for the mail to be delivered (except for the bills!  ::) ). I was always expecting something boat related.

Also every library book I could get my hands on, plus the books I could afford to buy through the magazines. My little studio apartment was packed with boat-related stuff!

Back in those days, the boats in Good Old Boat weren't old! They were all new enough to be out of my price range, so I was always planning to build my own. I still have the plans I bought from Glen-L.

The digital version may have some advantages, but that print copy really stirred me up.  ;D

I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.