News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Darn WIFI

Started by Frank, September 03, 2013, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Remembering I'm a techno phobe......wifi and range is always an issue while away. Anybody use these? Do they work? Any better ideas for "non geeks" like me?

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wifi+booster+antenna&tag=msncahydra-20&index=aps&hvadid=1733297138&ref=pd_sl_815dajq4jx_e
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

cap-couillon

Best I have found..

Engenius EUB9303H

600mw (Transmit strength usually a bigger problem than Rcv Sensitivity)
USB hookup (Do to high Txmt power, requires 2 free usb ports or powered hub)
Drivers for Window$ Mac and Linux included
Antenna upgradeable
Spec sheet attached.

One of these days, I'm gonna get me one of these

(Think you could zap seagulls with that sucker)
Cap' Couillon

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
SailingOffTheEdge.com

SoloBob

I've got one of the Egenius WiFi rigs.....
it shows a great range, but it's the most finicky piece of equipment I've ever had.....  >:(

Constantly drops and reconnects ( like every 7 - 9 minutes).... and for me, what it's connecting to is my Cell Phone... 3 feet away.

I've gotten sick of it, so I've been looking for something else.

Just my 3 pence worth  ;D

Wade

the alfa's work ok for me around weak marina signals.

rorik

I was told on another board that my Wave WIFI Rogue setup was "overpriced", but it was nice to order one item that came in a box - and worked right out of the box. And then cross that job off the four page, single spaced project list.
There's a BBX access point three blocks across and down the waterway from my marina. It's as fast as cable.
I don't get any drops or disconnects anywhere unless a bigger boat blocks my line of sight to the access point.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Auspicious

The Alfa units and their progeny like The Wirie work okay as portable extenders but can't compete with the Ubiquiti Bullet-based systems like those sold by IslandTimePC. Engenius has roughly the same performance as the Alfa.

I'm at anchor a mile from the nearest point of land and see a lot of WiFi over my Bullet. Signed up to Annapolis Wireless and streaming Netflix, updating my iPhone, and surfing the net with IM running.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

marujo_sortudo

I have to agree with Dave about The Wirie (and by extension, other Alfa systems, I suppose.)  For us, it works occasionally, but generally it can only connect to signals by laptop can see but not quite connect to, which would be an end of the dock at a marina type situation.  Since we anchor almost exclusively, thumbs down.