News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Own a boat in North Carolina?

Started by SalientAngle, September 18, 2013, 02:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SalientAngle

There's a short window of opportunity for some boat owners to not be hit as hard by the new, higher boat registration fee imposed by the NC Legislature this past session.

Those with federally documented boats who will be soon have to register with the state of North Carolina, can do so under the old, flat, 3-years-for-$40 rate if they get that registration form and payment in to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission by September 30.

Once October 1 comes, the rate will be $25 a year for boats under 26 feet and $50 for those over. Also, if you have a boat that's not federally documented and it's boat registration comes up within 60 days of September 30, you can take advantage of the old rate now. You've got less than 2 weeks to act to keep the kitty fresher.

s/v Faith

What is interesting about all this is that NC required all federally documented
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

SalientAngle

Quote from: s/v Faith on September 20, 2013, 10:44:55 PM
What is interesting about all this is that NC required all federally documented

Yes, and, we had a conversation during SB58 genesis, and, Faith participated as a former North Cackalacky vessel... I plead guilty (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa) to having been the cause for the "supreme-powers-that-be" to lock the thread... personally, I believe it is extreme (not locking the thread, rather the registration of federally documented vessels)... but, for cruisers, the time limits will be more of an annoyance... cheers, -jim  ???

quick edit to previous thread: http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,3895.0.html

s/v Faith

Sorry, I did got get to finish my prior thought. 

Nc has had this same requirement on the books for a long time.  The new law only reiterates the requirement that out of state (or federally documented) vessels participate.

The old method was to take a census each year, on New Year's Day.  Boats in nc got a tax bill from their county....   Now the registration is only part of the plan, the real Money will come from the boats that will now be taxed by the state.

I wonder if the census will still take place?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.