News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Meridian in NJ

Started by okawbow, September 23, 2013, 08:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

If you mean me on the joinery, yes, I did. I retired as a furniture repair /refinisher (25 years)and licensed boat builder(8 years). And my "free" Meridian had no sails either, and no boom or winches. And cost me $1500 to get it from Rochester NY, back down here to Matagorda Bay.

Sails are SailRite kits, and ran, I think, $1100.

I've put a ton of money into her ( I don't keep receipts) but for me, she's been worth every penny. She's had some 10,000 miles under her keel since I launched her.

Your mileage may vary- buying a well found boat is a good alternative, for sure. I have the shop, and the skills to restore. Your mileage may vary :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Crazer

I don't know how you were pricing things out, but definitely have a look around at what you can find used. It's actually quite possible to get great deals on used hardware, particularly winches. You might even be able to track down a useable boom for much less than the cost of building a new one. I'm sure you could find sails that would fit her too, for much less than new. I bet you could get what you need for less than half your quoted cost, at least if you intend to repair the mast rather than replace. Not that it isn't a huge commitment, boats *always* are, but it may be more doable than you expect.
-Avery

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway"
        Annapolis, MD

Jim_ME

Welcome gbdfa15

Just looked at the Meridian on eBay...1 day 8 hours left, no bids yet, so still at $300.

If you do like the Meridian [design], despite the distance, maybe that is a better value than the free one. From the description, the one in NJ seems to be in much better shape than the one on Peaks Island. The photos show the mast with stays and running rigging. May have a complete rig with sails? Condition is still a question. Might want to try to get more photos and have Charlie look at them? Sounds like it may have far less deck core trouble.

If you get an outboard and someone experienced at sailing, it may be possible to coastal motor/sail it up to Maine this fall. The first two weeks of October usually aren't too bad weather wise.

Might still be worth getting the free local Meridian as a long-term project, or even for spares [in the interim]? [Hopefully both would eventually be saved/restored.]

Just thoughts for your consideration...

Edit: Have another idea, but think that I should probably pm those involved (on second thought)...

Jim_ME

It would probably be more practical to have it transported up, especially if it is a hydraulic trailer that could deliver and unload it directly in your yard. Then you don't have to rush to get an outboard and gear, etc. By the time you invest the time, pay for the fuel, and have it hauled out and delivered to your house, it may cost more to sail/motor it up. If the boat were ready to sail and it was the beginning of the season, it might be worth it to put it in, but the local season would be over by the time you got here.

For reference...I paid a transporter $600 to bring a 26-foot boat up to Southern Maine from the New York City area, a couple years ago. It was 7k lbs and already on a trailer, so probably less than a hydraulic trailer would be.

If you have a pickup, can get (or make) an adjustable cradle, and rent a tandem axle trailer, you may be able to go pick it up yourself?

Jeremy

GB, if you can wait for another option or find a hauler for the boat in NJ, you may find your situation considerably advanced over the "free" option.  I'm a sucker for a nice hull, and free sounds great.  I get it. 

I bought my Meridian for a song off of craigslist, but even though that one was generally intact (with [delaminated] mast, boom and a very recent set of sails / and relatively new though problematic motor), and sailable the first year, it took the next year out of the water and quite a lot of time and effort (with limited time to give) to get her into the passable shape she is in now.  In some ways, when I bought Windrift, I bought a hobby more than I bought a boat.  It's a joy now that she's sailing, and there's a lot of pride to be found in bringing a derelict back from the dead.  If you want to go sailing immediately, however, you may want to explore your other options. 

Jeremy

Better yet, get both and use one for spares, as Jim suggests.  Ultimately I hope both could be saved, but better one than none.  

Nowhere near as inspirational as the Tehani before and after, but mere's my Meridian as purchased vs. as she was yesterday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60779326@N00/10010046225/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60779326@N00/10010084986/

The "before" doesn't actually look that bad in that photo . . . looks can be deceiving.  

In any event, good luck - and, as I said, I'm happy to be whatever resource or provide any encouragement that I can.

Jeremy

On your winches question, you can get small sizes fairly cheaply even new, and non-self-tailing versions in good shape used (as people feel a need to upgrade to self-tailers).  I lucked out an bought a set of Murray bottom-action MW-5s off of E-bay.  

You can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60779326@N00/10010296146/

Total overkill, but the price was right.  I spent a heck of a lot more for the bronze winch bases than I did for the winches themselves.  Guy selling them had another pair (wanted to sell them for $75 apiece) - wish I'd bought them.  Anyway, point is that if you are patient and careful (and don't go bid crazy on nice old bronze hardware without having a very set idea of what you want to use it for) you can do well on the used market.  But the risk is that you wind up with a bunch of stuff you bid on in a whim that didn't do the trick (as I sometimes have), and you realize (as I now have) that it may be cheaper to save up for the right thing the first time 'round.

Jim_ME

Quote from: Jeremy on September 29, 2013, 08:42:56 PM
On your winches question, you can get small sizes fairly cheaply even new
Agreed. I just picked up a pair of Lewmar #10s for $75. Have seen a couple pairs of similar winches on CraigList for $50...but they went quickly. Have also seen some on eBay. These smaller winch sizes are not that heavy so not too expensive to ship.

gbdfa15

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll keep people posted on what's happening. Right now I have to find a place in my yard to put the free boat, which may be complicated by sewer work on our street. They have done most of the blasting, but they will still dig up part of the yard, and my available area is boxed in by a temporary water line that I know a trailer with a 5,000 pound boat on it can't drive over. Plus, the maneuvering by the tractor and trailer would be very tight.

So, I may be stuck without a place for that boat, in which case, I can't take it.

But I am looking into other options, and the Meridian seems to be a worthy project.
If at first you don't succeed, you should consider resigning from the bomb squad.

gbdfa15

Okay, so, if one Meridian is good, 2 is better right? Right? Can I get a heck yeah?

That Meridian in NJ? I'm buying it. It'll spend the winter in the boatyard, then we'll do a shakedown cruise up to Maine. It'll be the template for what I have to do to Meridian #1.

I have yet to get down there and look at it, but I'll be doing so fairly soon, I hope. 

And there is now room in the yard for Meridian #1. I cleared enough space to fit it and still get over the temporary water line running through the yard. So it'll be handy to work on.

I didn't plan on having my own fleet of Meridians. But looks like I have one now.

Wish me luck.

If at first you don't succeed, you should consider resigning from the bomb squad.

CharlieJ

Hey- there are worse things than a fleet of Meridians ;D ;D

Congrats- when you get to sail one of them, you'll understand ;) I got to sail Tehani yesterday for the first time in almost 2 years. Man she still makes me grin
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jeremy

Here's a boom - a bit too long, but otherwise very like my original:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/4120921792.html

CharlieJ

probably pretty easy to trim the clew end to length Or get a different goose neck and get rid of the roller furling. Looking further, the clew end would seem best.

Looks solid

I redid one like that, only larger on another Rhodes- a Vanguard. It carried a 6 inch diameter boom
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: gbdfa15 on October 06, 2013, 09:46:15 PM
That Meridian in NJ? I'm buying it. It'll spend the winter in the boatyard, then we'll do a shakedown cruise up to Maine. It'll be the template for what I have to do to Meridian #1.
Wish me luck.

Congrats, and good luck!  :)

gbdfa15

Well, the S/V "Lawn Ornament" has arrived at her new home. I'll post pics shortly, but I found the plaque. She is boat # 5113, from Yard no. 13, built in 1961.

And boy is there a lot of work to do. Much of the interior is missing, I have a 5 gallon bucket full of bronze and stainless steel bits and pieces that go I know not where, broken glass and moldy sand paper to vacuum out, along with water in the bilge that does not at the moment seem to be breeding mosquitoes...in short, she's beautiful, someday.

The former owners even threw in a little sailing dinghy. So if I get a project done, I can reward myself with a little sail in a little sailboat.

But I think I'll hold off on that until I can get this ready for winter. Expect lots of questions. I'll try to keep the groaning and crying to a minimum.

CharlieJ

Sounds good to me. and you have my email address I think.

Oh, and Tehani is hull Number 10, 3 before yours in 1961
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: gbdfa15 on October 19, 2013, 03:51:50 PM
Well, the S/V "Lawn Ornament" has arrived at her new home. I'll post pics shortly, but I found the plaque. She is boat # 5113, from Yard no. 13, built in 1961.
So this is the free one from Peaks I.? Grog to you for taking that boat on...both of them.

The former owners even threw in a little sailing dinghy. So if I get a project done, I can reward myself with a little sail in a little sailboat.
It's nice to have a small boat to get out on the water when you need a break from working on the longer-term larger boat project. Can provide a good balance between the now and the future.

gbdfa15

Thanks for the grog, I'll need it for sure!

Yes, this is the Peaks Island boat. Still on Peaks. Oddly enough, I saw a friend and told him about the boat acquisition, only to learn that he owns a Meridian as well, stored in Gray, Maine. He also got his from people who lived on Peaks Island. Go figure.

One of the projects first on my plate is dealing with the many little holes left from deck hardware removal by the PO's. Can anybody recommend a suitable temporary caulking that I can use to help reduce water infiltration over the winter? I know not to use Silicone, but I wonder if anybody has a recommendation? I don't want it to be permanent, obviously.

Also, what is a recommended deck core replacement substance? I will mostly be working from the interior up, as the PO's removed the old core from the inside. Part of the deck has come adrift from the hull, so I either need to bridge the current gap, or draw that section of hull in to meet the deck.

Oh, and if people could post a few pics of their interiors? I have an assortment of random pieces of wood and plywood, and I'd love to know where they actually belong.

Thanks again to all!

gbdfa15

Oops. Anybody know how to turn a photo right side up?

CharlieJ

My storage of photos on my computer lets me do that. Just the standard Windows Documents.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera