Old Fairclough canvas winter cover: Is it worth taking one?

Started by Oldrig, October 20, 2013, 01:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

It's been a beautiful fall sailing season here in New England, but I'm going to have to haul out next week. I recently got a phone call from somebody who owns a Cape Dory 25D. He keeps his boat under a Fairclough canvas cover when she's on the hard. Last year he replaced his cover, and he has offered to give me the old one, which is sitting in his shed.

Does any of the Northerners on this board (I know you lucky folks from below the Line of Secession don't have to haul out in the winter) think it would be worth taking him up on this offer, or is he just trying to clean out his shed.

FYI: a new Fairclough cover and frame would cost me $2,500. The fellow who's making this offer says his new canvas cover cost him $1,800.

I can get the boat shrinkwrapped for about $300, or I could throw some tarps over the boat for less, knowing that I'd have to replace them every year.

Any suggestions?

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

rorik

FWIW.....
Even if he is just "trying to clean out his shed", a well made cover - even a boom tent - is expensive. So, if he's "giving" it to you, I say take it. Even if he wants $300 for it, take it.
$300 once for however many years usage you get vs. $300 every year for shrink wrap? That seems like easy math, unless I'm missing something....
And as far as the shrink wrap and disposable tarps go, that's a lot of yearly waste that has to go somewhere when you toss it away.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Oldrig

Thanks Rorik,
Sounds like I've got nothing to lose ... he is really offering me his old cover for nada. It looked like he was going to sell his boat to somebody in Florida, who had no use for his new cover and frame. The deal fell through, but he's still offering the old one.
BTW, today was one of the most beautiful late-season sailing days. The inevitable is coming ... nighttime temps down to 40. Gotta haul her while I can.  :'(
Best,
--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627