News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Educated Decision

Started by champlain72, November 28, 2013, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Phil did a nice job on a 25' day sailor.... If only he had drawn a bit more beam so it could carry stores for cruising... Oh, but wait! Then it would be an Ariel!
;D

[/quote]

TOO FUNNY    :o ;D :D ;) ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

You know what? In all seriousness (mutiny, I know), just think for a moment what it would be like to have Alberg and Rhodes sit on a panel and publicly discuss boat design - kind of like a contemporary "con" where we could ask questions and such. Imagine Alberg walking us through a design - beginning to end - via a youtube video.

I read an article a few years back (mentioned it on here somewhere) where one designer was asked essentially about modern trends.  His reply was that "these fads will die out when people realize they don't serve a functional purpose at sea." That's a paraphrase.

A panel discussion with Alden, Alberg, Rhodes, Stephens, Giles, Herreshoff ... probably missing more than a few.

Value is not measured by price tag.  It amazes me, continues to amaze me, that the products of these minds remain infinitely more valuable than 'modern' tubs, yet the price tags (in a lot of cases at least) are inverted to that value.  Really....most Alberg boats for under $30,000 compared to some of what I see for twice or three times that?

It truly boggles the mind.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Oh Boy would THAT be a panel discussion worth listening to.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: s/v Faith on January 10, 2014, 12:00:30 AM
Phil did a nice job on a 25' day sailor.... If only he had drawn a bit more beam so it could carry stores for cruising...

Awhile back I saw a local ad for an Alberg 35 on CraigsList...and was amused to see among the seller's description..."nice weekender"...

Naturally, I was tempted to write and point out that my Alberg Typhoon "weekender" model was 18.5 feet LOA and 2,000 pounds, and at 6 or 7 times that displacement, well he was just going to have to find a different word to use.  ;)

CharlieJ

Quote from: Jim_ME on January 16, 2014, 06:20:48 PM
Quote from: s/v Faith on January 10, 2014, 12:00:30 AM
Phil did a nice job on a 25' day sailor.... If only he had drawn a bit more beam so it could carry stores for cruising...

Awhile back I saw a local ad for an Alberg 35 on CraigsList...and was amused to see among the seller's description..."nice weekender"...

I was aboard Tehani, tied in a marina over on the Florida east coast one time. Heard a lady walking down the dock comment- "oh, what a pretty little weekender"

I replied from below-

"Yes, and she's weekended her way all the way form Texas to here, including a short gulf crossing"

Then there was silence :)

I stuck my head out and engaged the, as it turned out,  very nice couple in conversation, and showed them below decks.. She was simply blown away with the idea that you didn't NEED 40 or 50 feet of boat to go cruising.

Thank the boating press >:( for that attitude
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on January 16, 2014, 08:55:05 PM

Like Charlie said, thank the magazines for that.  I've seen articles in the sailing rags that call 30-35 footers weekenders; we've heard good cruising boats in the mid-20's called daysailers.

A few weeks ago, a lady I know was picking my brain pretty hard about our time living aboard.  Turns out, she is interested "simplifying" and wanted some input on what it's like.  To give her some perspective, I told her that our entire living space aboard the A-30 was about the size of many walk-in closets or contemporary bathrooms.

To her credit, she did not bat an eye on that.  I think she's serious.  She has a one-year old, so if her husband, her and the baby are going to make a move like that...now is a great time to do it.  That's my opinion, anyway.

The American concept of "space" is driven by "luxury advertising."  "They" are selling the idea that one somehow deserves space and free time and stuff and ... well, whatever they are selling.  Well, deserves, or "needs."

I'm happy to see others reject that notion.  I think there is a lot of peace that comes with simplifying - which is something we used to talk about a lot here. Smaller boats bring a LOT of positives, and it mostly just saddens me when I meet folks that think a couple cannot comfortably cruise unless a 40+ footer is the boat.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Jim_ME

Out of curiosity, put the plans together at about the same scale, to visually compare...

Captain Smollett

I've never been aboard a A-35, but I have been on an Alberg 37.  Very, very nice boat on the inside. And, of course, gorgeous from the outside as well.

I think I read somewhere that Alberg never drew and ugly boat.... ;D  (no bias here!  ;) )

On Edit:  PS - Sorry for the thread creep....
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina