Re: good news and bad news...the good out weighs the bad

Started by Pixie Dust, February 28, 2006, 05:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pixie Dust

Hearse, this will give you more time to keep us in line.  Take care and wishing you an extra fast recovery!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

hearsejr

lol thanks. I am able to get around for a short burst so  once in the cabin I can sit down and start cleaning..now about the trip.. it's in another post..whats the diffrence between adventure and dessaster? ATTITUDE! lol.

hearsejr

hi all.
you folks will not believe this, but here goes:
  let's start at the very begining. a couple of years ago I went to look at a boat in M.D., and it was said to be in good condition. they said it had a deisle, and needed a lazerette rebuilt and a engine compartment door. when we got there in my 92 ford ranger, we found the boat was..well poop. walking the deck was like walking on a trampoline, the stern was holed on both sides, all the wood was rotten and collasped..except an engine compartment door and a lazzerette. the tiller was missing the hull was knee deep with water, the boom was broken in half.
we stepped off the boat and started too walk away but the dock collasped and sunk. we left, and within a few hours we were walking down I-95 after a trans  bit the dust.
well, this trip went nearly worse then you could imagine.
the trailer I was going to used got wrecked last week, my step mom lost the tags,  I drug out another trailer and it had bad tires, but was usable. we had to add lights, and do some work as it was not completed yet.  we left at 4:00 am sunday, and made great time till we hit Washington DC. that when we found a flat tire and drip under the transmission.
we arrived at  Maryland Marina right on time, at 11:45...only to find that the wind blew the water out of Middle creek. then the wench handle was stolen while at a rest stop, and we had to use a 1/2" and a 12mm wrench to work the winch. we got the boat on the trailer and out of the mud...getting our feet wet at the same time.
it was very cold and windy to boot.
well we lost the tranny at mile marker 119 on hwy. 301....which is next to a prison at A.P. Hill. I spent the coldest night of my life in the cab of the truck, wraped up in a sail cover and seat covers. when the tow vehicle got there the windsheild was frosted on the inside!
well I got the ranger pulled to a truck stop, went back and took the boat home then borrowed some $$ rented a trailer and went after the truck.
once we got everything home I took a little nap, and started looking the boat over. it will need some minor stuff but is sailable till next fall when I get removing a few blisters and the pea soup green deck repainted off white.
I thought it was a decent adventure but my brother was not a happy camper. he did like the wardens attitude. but after I showed that I was just gratefull to be in the hall for quick warm ups, and thanked the fellas for allowing me to hang around, he was very decent acting towards me. I also had my Forrest service uniform on, and he was showing respect thta we  goverment types show when we see another uniform. lol .
we were told to leave the waiting room, while the inmates cleaned it up, and could return an hour later but we stayed in the truck becouse it was close to the time when our ride was to be arriving
we atleast we can safely say we spent the night in a fed prison. lol. well the trucks home and its getting ready for a seal in the tranny. hopefully I'll take the boat out next week for a check out cruise.
I'll post pics in a week or two.
later yall!

Bill

Solace

That's quite a story Bill. Or should we call you Captain Catastrophe?
What was the boat?

We look forward to hearing your efforts on getting the boat cruise ready.

Cheers!

John

hearsejr

yep the friday voyage thing will be heeded from this point on! atleast the boat should be ready to sail next week.
bill

CapnK

Alls well that ends well - sorta well, anyway! ;D

Glad to hear you'll have a hull under you soon!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

I've heard it said like so:

You know the expression "Some day we'll look back at this and laugh?" - well, why not  save some time, and go ahead and laugh right now!

:D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Quote from: hearsejr on March 09, 2006, 11:31:27 PM
..might be a great clown show as I attempt to sail a retractable center board boat for the first time...not counting the sunfish. lol.

Same general idea... just hopefully more stable..  ;D

I will be in a regatta that weekend, hope both events get good weather!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

hearsejr

well I am now  legal to opperate my boat in N.C. waters. I got it registered and the numbers are assigned to it. now to get a fire exstingisher and new flairs. maybe a wench to lift the centerboard. lol.
Bill