Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Canned bread.

Started by s/v Faith, March 27, 2006, 10:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Canned bread.

This is one of those really stupid sounding ideas that work great.

Rose was talking to a friend about the whole bread baking issue.  We make pan bread now, but Rose makes a killer banana nut bread that I really don't want to go without if I don't have to.   

The month or so ago a friend suggested she bake the bread in mason jars.  It sounded nuts, but she tried it.

Worked great!  She sprayed a little canola oil into the jars, and then filled them about 1/4 full with bread dough (batter?).  Bake as normal, but as soon as they are removed from the oven, drop the lids on the jars. 

They 'pop' closed shortly after they come out of the oven.  I have served as the tester for this experiment, and can say with a relative* degree of certainty that it works great. 

The first batch was Banana bread, corn bread, and pound cake.  All three have continued to come out of the jar fresh and tasty as they have been opened over the last month. 

I will keep you posted if I can restrain myself long enough to see how they are at the 6 and 8 week marks.  ;)

*Further testing will need to be conducted.  You can not be too hasty about these things.....  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Pixie Dust

OK Faith!!  I am watching this one with abated breath.  I love banana bread....actually bread of all kinds.   :)  Keep us posted and feel free to mail us samples to help with the experiment.   ;)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

LauraG

mmm. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!

Skipper Dave

Not being much of a baker let me know if it is possible to use the microwave in place of an oven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

hearsejr

:o  WOW ,a reason to live! now when is the next opening going to be held?  :P

CapnK

Ran across this article the other day. "Pan Desuyo", 100 grams of bread per can, in 2 small loaves. The price is 330 yen per can (dunno if they offer discounts for case lots;)), so maybe Zen can tell us approximately how much this stuff would cost in dollars...

Bread in a can, good for up to 3 years...

Looks like Craig and Rose just missed out on an opportunity to pad the cruising kitty by profiting with their idea... Or maybe not!

;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

330 yen is about $3.10 USD
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Zen

Quote from: svosprey on June 10, 2006, 07:44:42 AM
More bread in a can- a little closer than Japan. ;)

http://www.mainegoodies.com/gourmet/cannedbrownbread.shtml?gclid=CNu7sqrTu4UCFU2BFQodkj97zQ

Yeah I remember having some of this stuff, not bad. I was a kid at the time I think.
If I remember it is on the sweet side more like dessert.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Oldrig

There's a good reason that canned brownbread is available from a website called "Mainegoodies."

It's a traditional New England treat--usually served with old-fashioned-style Boston baked beans. It's really sweet, almost like a cake, usually with raisins in it. Having spent most of my life here in New England, I didn't realize it was a local delicacy until my wife and I endured four years of exile in Pennsylvania.

We couldn't find brownbread in any of the local stores, and nobody knew what it was that we were looking for.

Ayuh, it does taste great!
--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Tim

Since I am culinary challenged, I missed this thread entirely. What I want to know is how you get the bread out of the Mason jar, isn't the top smaller than the jar?
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

It expands when it is baked, and shrinks slightly when it cools.  Comes out pretty easily.... Gonna get Rose to experiment with some blueberry bread...  ;)

CharlieJ

Don't know about canned bread. But Laura has a loaf baking in the pressure cooker as I type this. Since we can't get to a store at the moment, that's all we'll have-grin (can't use the smilies from the IPhone)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Auspicious

Have you tried baking bread in a conventional loaf pan in the barbecue? If you have a thermometer in the lid it works quite well and the loaf is shaped "right."
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CharlieJ

Well, since we have no barbeque, the pressure cooker is IT for baking.
No space for a BBQ aboard anyway.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Thistlecaptake a look at the various pressure cooker threads here on Sailfar Lots of info there
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jotruk

I had some time on my hands and tried baking white bread in a jar and sealing it up/ that was about 12 days ago and they stay fresh and come out of the jar quite tasty
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

s/v Faith

Quote from: jotruk on August 18, 2009, 04:59:13 PM
I had some time on my hands and tried baking white bread in a jar and sealing it up/ that was about 12 days ago and they stay fresh and come out of the jar quite tasty

Cool,

Did you happen to take a picture?

jotruk

I didn't take pictures this time, but I will be making more in the next couple of days and I will take pictures and post them then
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

polecat

I just tried some of Jotruc's 2 month old jar bread and it was just fine. We're going to make some different breads up in the large wide mouth jars for our upcoming jaunt to Pensacola.  Hmmm - need to add back german black bread & prices spread to the snack list.
jim