News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Horns at sunset...

Started by Frank, February 23, 2014, 06:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Currently at anchor-Treasure Cay Abacos. A 'crazy canuck" spent 10+ minutes on his fore deck next door "piping" in the sunset with bag pipes! Beautiful actually! Beats the heck out of a simple horn blast.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

jotruk

great music thanks for the link
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

s/v Faith

That is savastaiY...  Or something like that.  I heard him. I 2008 at farmers Cay, and again in December here in Hopetown.  Anchored off of the beach at treasure Cay right now, I played my flute at sunrise this morning (fowl cay) and hope to play it again tomorrow....

Blow the conch horn at sunset many times....  Nce tradition, way to applaud the sunset. :)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Quote from: s/v Faith on February 24, 2014, 08:32:26 PM

Blow the conch horn at sunset many times....  Nce tradition, way to applaud the sunset. :)

Yep- mine lives in a locker aboard Tehani, although right now it's sitting on my coffee table here at the house. I took it off when the boat went away, and haven't put it back aboard yet. Made the thing when I took my San Juan 21 to the Keys in the early 70's :D

Had a Bahamian Conch horn maker try really hard to buy it off me in Nassau- he  said it had a GREAT sound :D

Quite nice ritual in  Boot Key Harbor ( or  most anyplace really) and I've blown it in many anchorages.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

We are in Hope Town and to our pleasant surprise...the bag pipe player is tied here as well. What a nice end to the day!!!

Jim_ME

Quote from: Tim on February 23, 2014, 07:35:12 PM
Pipes, are a sure sign of heaven

Thanks, Tim. It's been awhile since I've listened to Mark Knopfler...

Juliet says hey it's Romeo you nearly gimme a heart attack
He's underneath the window she's singing hey la my boyfriend's back
You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that
Anyway what you gonna do about it?

Quote from: Frank on February 23, 2014, 06:02:10 PM
Currently at anchor-Treasure Cay Abacos. A 'crazy canuck" spent 10+ minutes on his fore deck next door "piping" in the sunset with bag pipes! Beautiful actually! Beats the heck out of a simple horn blast.

Wow...the sound from those pipes really carry...

Reminds me of my first trip with my Dad to visit relatives in Nova Scotia. We pulled up to the border of the province in that 58 Chevy wagon and there was a lone piper in his tartan highland dress playing and marching across the road. It was one of those Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore moments...

Quote from: s/v Faith on February 24, 2014, 08:32:26 PM
Blow the conch horn at sunset many times....  Nice tradition, way to applaud the sunset. :)

The closest experience to this that I've had was applause of Sunset at Mallory Square in Key West and all the buskers and performers there--years ago. I remember photographing the brick Romanesque Customs House building that was boarded up and fenced off and thinking that it was a real diamond in the rough and would sure be beautiful once they had restored it.

s/v Faith

Sitting in the cockpit right now, Marsh Harbour....

Someone here has a trumpet, and has just now played a beautiful rendition of Taps...

Maybe it is my background, but I am in tears as I type this.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.