The buyers' market and the "if only..." syndrome

Started by DarrenC, March 10, 2014, 02:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenC

We're all doing it, or most of us are anyway - Idling away our winter hours trolling the internet and coming across the thousands of vessels in all shapes, sizes and states of repair and readiness that are on the market.

Regardless of how happy we are with our current cruiser, periodically we come across that one that somehow grabs our attention - the one that we know every word of the description and every inch of every picture yet we secretly keep going back to and checking the listing anyway, the one that in our imagination could be "The" boat, if only...

We all have our own "if only" or more than one - usually surrounding finances but not necessarily.

Because I am sick to death of this weather and so bored that time seems to be passing at a similar frozen pace I propose a game of "Show me yours and I'll show you mine..."

The challenge is this - let's pretend you are magically in the position to pull the trigger,  show us the listing for a boat that is available on the market right now that is your "if only..." boat.  and tell us why.  To make sure you put some thought into it of course there are a couple of caveats:

1) Although price is not a factor, there is a cost - The deal will be an even trade for your current boat as currently equipped - No salvaging anything outside personal items

2) Here's the kicker - If you made the deal, you agree this will be the last boat you ever own.

I'm very interested to see replies since I know this is something we all spend a lot of time thinking about.

s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

CharlieJ

Might be fun, but sorry- got mine :D

Lost her, got her back, keeping her
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

DarrenC

Well. it's my game so I guess I should go...

Without a doubt the boat I would buy for the rest of my life and outside of commisioning a custom build the only boat I could see giving up Carita for - Falmouth Cutter

http://artofhookie.org/2013/12/11/falmouth-cutter-22/

In short everything The Admiral and I need to live happily ever after anywhere in the world and nothing we don't.

Full keel, reasonably shoal draft yet enough displacement to keep from being pushed around too badly in the big water.  I am inherently lazy and want the most comfortable sailing with the least drama possible.

Overbuilt in every concievable way.  She will get us there, no matter where "there" happens to be.

Already well set up for a KISS and self-sufficient cruising lifestyle. with kero cooker, heater, lamp and handheld electronics.

Can absolutely swallow up a couple thousand pounds in stores.

Inboard diesel wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's relatively new and could always be removed if anything ever went irrepairably wrong.

Classic workboat lines and specatular interior finish gives the 'romance factor' of a vintage wooden boat without the endless maintenance hassles of a vintage wooden boat - For a self-professed pragmatist I have to admit this 'romance factor' plays into my enthusiasm for KISS cruising/sailing more than I usually care to admit.

Trailer means I can keep her winter stored close to home or work for visitation and projects instead of driving 1+ hours to the marina and digging my way in.  Trailer also means that for the concievable future until I can shake the yoke of workaday life I could actually take a winter vacation on my own craft.

There's obviously tradeoffs and no such thing as the 'perfect' boat, but man oh man...

s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

Tim

Well you had me going until #2, "last boat" hah, not likely, I already have my eye on my next one  ;D  

But seriously, I actually have the boats (Cape Dory Typhoon and Pearson Ariel) that I would want for their designed purposes. The Typhoon is my day-sailer with occasional overnights and the Ariel is my extended cruiser for sailing. But it is looking like there is a mini-trawler type in my future for further cruising in the British Columbia Inside Passage, where wind is usually non-existent in the warmer months.  
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Tim

The Falmouth Cutter is a good choice, would be at the top of my list if I had one.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

DarrenC

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 10, 2014, 02:49:03 PM
Might be fun, but sorry- got mine :D

Lost her, got her back, keeping her

Grog to you my friend, and envy of your zen-like contentment!
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

DarrenC

Quote from: Tim on March 10, 2014, 03:05:49 PM
Well you had me going until #2, "last boat" hah, not likely, I already have my eye on my next one  ;D  

But seriously, I actually have the boats (Cape Dory Typhoon and Pearson Ariel) that I would want for their designed purposes. The Typhoon is my day-sailer with occasional overnights and the Ariel is my extended cruiser for sailing. But it is looking like there is a mini-trawler type in my future for further cruising in the British Columbia Inside Passage, where wind is usually non-existent in the warmer months.  

A super-nice couple visited our town dock last Summer while doing the Great Loop on a Ranger Tug - Incredible amount of boat for 25 feet.  They had trailered from BC and had previously done the inside passge to Alaska.  Said it was an ideal boat for the application.  Maybe something for your list.
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

CharlieJ

Quote from: Tim on March 10, 2014, 03:08:21 PM
The Falmouth Cutter is a good choice, would be at the top of my list if I had one.

Pretty boat, but a tad small. A better choice, and virtually the same boat in looks, would be the Bristol Channel Cutter at 28 feet. Sailed in company with one years ago with a family of four aboard. Quick, very nice sailing vessel too.

Not in the market though, just commenting ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 10, 2014, 04:00:20 PM
Quote from: Tim on March 10, 2014, 03:08:21 PM

Pretty boat, but a tad small. A better choice, and virtually the same boat in looks, would be the Bristol Channel Cutter at 28 feet. Sailed in company with one years ago with a family of four aboard. Quick, very nice sailing vessel too.

Not in the market though, just commenting ;D

True, but since trailerability was a factor that would eliminate the Channel Cutter, though I agree if I was looking for a true top of the line small cruiser the Bristol Channel Cutter would be the one.

W.A. Ward

skylark

I'm not committing to my final boat, but I would like to be free to cruise with this machine:

http://proa32.blogspot.nl/2014/01/approaching-build.html?m=1
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Travelnik

Well, it definitely isn't a SailFar boat, but if I could only have one boat forever, I'm kind of fond of the dutch sailing barges.

I'd go for a 60' steel model. It would be a perfect live aboard boat, shoal draft, lee boards, could carry a couple of my motorcycles, room for a good-sized work shop, and are actually pretty fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB1QeSro_gI&feature=player_embedded

It would be my home, not just an occasional cruising boat, so I would need more room than I have in my 22' Nomad.

Then again, this is all just wishes so...  ;)
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

DarrenC

Dean, have you ever looked at the Triloboats?  Seems like their design could offer most of what you find atrtractive in the sailing barge for a fraction of the cost.

Not pretty, but maximum bang for the buck...
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

Travelnik

Darren, the Triloboat is an interesting poor man's boat, but like you said, not pretty. I like the looks of the dutch sailing barge. (Not that I would ever get one anyway.)

I still like my Nomad, and if, in reality, I ever did get a bigger boat, it would probably be either be another Westerly, or a Pearson. (Either one under 32'.) Also, an Alberg, BCC, Westsail or Nor'Sea. I'd still want to be practical.
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Crazer

I know this doesn't qualify as a "small boat" by any means, but oh good grief, the legendary Cal 40 has whisked my heart away. It and the LeComte Northeast are the only 30+ foot boats I'd consider owning.

This one, this one is the one I would take in a heartbeat.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/30500

If we're limiting this to boats I could actually afford to own, well, I think I've already got the one I want  :)

-Avery

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway"
        Annapolis, MD

DarrenC

Quote from: Crazer on March 12, 2014, 07:56:56 PM
I know this doesn't qualify as a "small boat" by any means, but oh good grief, the legendary Cal 40 has whisked my heart away. It and the LeComte Northeast are the only 30+ foot boats I'd consider owning.

This one, this one is the one I would take in a heartbeat.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/30500

If we're limiting this to boats I could actually afford to own, well, I think I've already got the one I want  :)

Spectacular craft - Too much boat for me and my lazy nature, but I sure would like to be invited to spend the weekend aboard!

s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada