News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Projects Projects Projects

Started by Solace, February 03, 2006, 09:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Sorry to hear about the blistering... UGH...

I've gotten most of the materials I need for the projects on my spring/summer list.  It looks like I'm going to have to take my mast down to do several of them though.  Fortunately, this isn't much of an issue for me.  :D  My mast is designed to be lowered by a single person using a winch. 

The mast-related projects I have are installing two flag halyards, a radar reflector, spreader halyard catcher (the halyard slapping has been driving me crazy), installing shroud covers to prevent the jib sheets from getting caught on them.  I should probably do the masthead light bracket at this time too... hmm... need to make the bracket now.

Then I have safety gear projects which include installing padeyes for jacklines, the jacklines, the Dutchman Boom Brake, the bridle for the Jordan Series Drogue, and the EPIRB.

I also have to install the new ground tackle system—a windlass, mooring bitt, chain pipe, anchor roller, chain tensioner and the new anchor.

I have two solar-powered ventilators to install as well.

The last two projects are remedial projects, which were not done properly by the electrician.  I have to make and mount a new masthead light bracket.  I also have to modify the solar panel mounting brackets that he made up for me.  Unfortunately, I can't do the solar panel project at my normal slip, as I have to have the amas extended to do the work.  I'm going to have to see if I can use an end slip over at my marina.  UGH.

The worst part is I want to get most of this done before doing any longer cruises.  So, that means I have to get all of this done soon.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

Wow! that is alot for a new boat. Does seem though most are preferences not I need to sail now stuff, unless of course that means Long Distance, then that would be need to do now.

I have a 6-8hr 1 way trip coming up this Sunday. Pre-work means. A once over all systems. New tape on the turnbuckles, fill with gas, double check the charts. charge re-chargeable batteries, make sure everything that may move doesn't , things that should move do, change some CD's, pack reading book & ASA workbook and log, pack food, water, wine.

Capt'n K is also out sailing if I remember correctly, so things are quiet from him also. This is a long holiday weekend upcoming so many will be out playing in the wind, or passing it at dock  ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

Unfortunately, I won't be sailing this weekend... I have a friend visiting from out of town, and we're going to go play tourist for the weekend.  :D

Most of the work I have to do on Pretty Gee is in preparation for going on some very long voyages.  I have two 130W solar panels to help keep the batteries topped off, even if I decide to use a laptop and the refrigerator while out at sea.  The starting batteries are separate, and the 20 HP can be hand started as well.

The work can be prioritized, as some are really more necessary than others.  The new ground tackle system is one of the major priorities, as are the projects that I need to take the mast down for...as I consider the new anchor and the radar reflectors necessities for safe voyaging.    The Boom Brake, Jordan Series Drogue, EPIRB and jacklines are necessities as well.  The halyard catchers are a necessity for sanity's sake...the slapping halyards are driving me crazy. :p  The shroud covers will make the boat easier to sail, and safer, as the jib sheets won't be getting caught in the shrouds once I've added the covers.

The solar panel mounts are not an immediate concern, as I am still working on re-designing the system a bit.  I also don't need the solar panels at the moment, since I do have a shore power system on the boat, and shore power at my marina slip.  The ventilators would be nice to have, but aren't a necessity yet.  That may change as the weather gets warmer.  The masthead light can wait a bit, as the current job I've done with it should hold relatively well...at least until I can get a new one made. 

The flag halyards aren't really all that necessary, but I'll probably do them while I have the mast down.  :D  They're a pretty quick and easy project. I might even cheat on them a bit, and use two plastic tubes and through bolt the eyestraps for the blocks on the spreaders, to help prevent any corrosion issues.

One last thing I just thought of.  I have to install some rubstrakes on the main cabin hatch, as the mast raising system line is rubbing against it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Zen

Dan,
Does your Dutchman come with all the lines and everything or just the brake unit?

AdriftAtSea

Nope, the Dutchman Boom Brake only comes with the boom brake unit.  The shackles, the line, the ratchet block and the Spinlock PX PowerCleat I'm using for the rest of the setup I got at a couple of different clearance sails.

The line is 3/8" double braid.  The shackles are small Wichard stainless steel with retained pins.  The ratchet block is a Harken.

The line will go from the starboard chainplate to the boom brake, through the ratchet block at the port chainplate and aft to the PX PowerCleat, which will be mounted on the port coaming.

This setup should be fairly easy to do, and keep most of the lines out of the way.  I'll post photos of it when I have the system done.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Zen

So, Thanks for the 411. From the site it looks like everything is included. I have a line on one , but was told it was just the unit. I though I was getting short changed, but I guess not. Thx
Good to have you aboard as a regular. Capt'n D  :D

AdriftAtSea

One of the reasons I think it is sold just as a unit is the line diameter and length is pretty much boat specific.  I went with the mid-sized unit, the BB500, which might be a bit overkill, but the choice was based on the site's recommendation for people planning longer open water passages.

Each brake can take a range of line diameters, and the thicker the line, the greater  the braking effort provided by the brake.  They're basically sized by sail area.  The BB250 is for main sails up to 250 sq. ft. IIRC, the difference between the BB250 and the BB250B is an addition of a shackle on the base of the unit for use with a soft boom vang.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Zen

AH, Friday. Finally got my Friday off, suppose to be every other week. Missed it due to a work project or the last two  :'(

Now it was all for nothing the thing got extended twice  >:(

It was 100 degrees today , but not so bad at marina. So I got a few things done. Locking system installed on companion way. More sanding on the bright work. Removeing more paint and ugh from the teak and installed a cover for the freshly refinshed doors.

Looking good if I do say so myself. Lady Z put in a lot of work sewing the weather cloths & door cover.

Next things for her are:
snap on bug screens. I already have the design.
Winch covers
cockpit cushion covers. We are planing Brown or Tan to break up the Pacific Blue.

For me more Sanding and TeaQuaing

AdriftAtSea

The teak and the sail work look great.  My compliments to the fine hand of Lady Zen and Zen.  :D

Varnishing is one reason I minimized the amount of brightwork on the Pretty Gee.  BTW, I did get the Dutchman Boom Brake and one Nicro Solar vent installed finally.   You can read about both at my blog.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Pixie Dust

Zen, you and Lady Zen have that boat looking spiffy!!  The teak is looking great and she did a great job on the sewing.  I have a little of the same needs here in FL... what are your rates?   :D ;D

And Dan can come down and add the extra bilge and float switch.   :D :D :D
My last 2 months have had me on the road so much, that I am falling behind on my boat modifications for my winter trip.  :(
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Seadogg

Since we weren't able to get out on the water this past weekend, I was able to steal a few minutes and work on the boat.

I varnished the "altered" bow sprit.  It is no longer the "long, evil, nasty, window smashing" bowsprit, but the "short, sexy, non-window smashing" bowsprit. (I'll HAVE to post THAT story one day.)  I reattached the bow nav light and then went to work on the stern light.  This one's a little trickier as there seems to be a funky connection right at the socket.  I'm gonna get some Blue Shower and see if that helps.

Coming up...

1.   I'm thinking I may finally have the time and the weather this weekend to remove the un-used thru-hulls and glass up the holes.  I've been studying Don Casey's book for months and have had the materials at hand.  The only issue has been the evenings have been too cool.  Now that we're into real summer temps, I think I may be in the clear!! ;D

2.   Then it will be working on removing some of the extraneous electrical wiring and the battery charger.  We really don't use enough power to warrant having one on board and I REALLY don't want to risk charging the battery while it's below anyway.

3.   Finally, I'm planning on putting together a back rest for the port settee.  This way it'll be mucho more comfortable to lean back and relax.

As work progresses, I'll post some pics.

Fair winds!

Nick
S/V  First Step

Destination?? Sailing IS the destination!!

Seadogg

Oh, yeah....

I suppose I should raise the mast soon to make sure I can still connect the forestay after removing the bowsprit!!  ;D
S/V  First Step

Destination?? Sailing IS the destination!!

Pixie Dust

QuoteIt is no longer the "long, evil, nasty, window smashing" bowsprit, but the "short, sexy, non-window smashing" bowsprit. (I'll HAVE to post THAT story one day.)

I am already laughing and have a vision of that scenerio.  Ya gotta put that one in print!!  Sounds like a good chuckle is forthcoming   :D
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Pixie Dust on June 25, 2006, 10:12:42 PM
Zen, you and Lady Zen have that boat looking spiffy!!  The teak is looking great and she did a great job on the sewing.  I have a little of the same needs here in FL... what are your rates?   :D ;D

And Dan can come down and add the extra bilge and float switch.   :D :D :D
My last 2 months have had me on the road so much, that I am falling behind on my boat modifications for my winter trip.  :(

Hey Connie-

Let me know when and where. :D Be glad to help out on s/v Pixie Dust.  Always liked pixies like yourself. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

I have been working on stuff... it has lilled me as my sailing habit has been cut into with all this working on stuff.

As many here know, Rose and I are taking off this fall / late summer.  I have to make some progress soon.

My earlier post;

Quote from: s/v Faith on February 15, 2006, 01:49:33 PM
So.....

Thinking about this thread.... I decided to type up the list of my project's.  This list is not everything, as I stopped now because I am feeling a little bit nauseous....

Projects;

~   Bow roller install for CQR #25
(have roller, and anchor)

~   Haul and repaint.

~   Install Bomar Nibo hatch.... Still thinking about how I am going to do this. (have hatch)

~   Install cockpit mounted bilge pump (have pump)

~   Install new jib tracks on toerail (have tracks, removed old tracks... sailing with blocks on the life line pad eyes...)

~   Install shipmate kerosene heater (have heater, and flue)

~   Repaint foredeck

~   Re-install rub strake

~   Run new power outlets to nav station

~   Re-locate GPS connection for auto-helm

~   Source and install windvane (or build mounts for the RVG I have)

~   Fabricate and install pushpit (have stainless)

~   Install solar panel (have solar panel, will mount on pushpit)

~   Split center cushion for 'settee to queen birth' just need to cut foam, and re-sew new cover

~   Glass area under cockpit to seal from cockpit lockers

~   Install flex tank under cockpit for extra H2o[/list] 

??? :P ::) >:( ;) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X:o[/color][/b]

So, as time runs out I have re-prioritized.

The foredeck took me much more time then I had thought, the anchor roller is only neding to be drilled and mounted (glass covered oak base is fared in and well attached to the bow).

Thinking that list looks something like this;

Dodger & Bimini..... Don't want to leave without this.  Plan to get a kit from sailrite, but interested in hearing what others have done.  Don't want to pay $1500+ I have heard from others.

Stern Pulpit.  Don't have the ambitionus plans for lots of 1" ss tube I once had, just want something to hold the grill and some lee cloths.  Any ideas?  (again, looking to avoid giving 'tops in quality' their $1500).

Mount Bomar hatch over V-berth.  Original hatch leaks like mad when taking water over the bow.

Haul and do bottom paint, re-rig cockpit drans.  Current bottom job is over 5 years old.  I dive it often, but am having to knock off more an dmore barnacles...  :P

Make winch pads to mount the self taliers I bought last year.  My First Mate has this task on the list as a 'must do' before we take off.

Finish mounting cockpit bilge pump...... nuf said.

Mount Solar panel.  The stern pulpit will be the mount for this.

Rig reef blocks.   I have them, and an idea of how I want to do it.... I just HATE to drill more holes in the boom.  My current system works, but is tough to rig once the wind starts to blow.

Companion way doors.  This would be a really nice thing to have.  I bought the hinges and have the design in my mind's eye, but need to make it happen.

Install job tracks.   Yea, I am still cheating by taking the blocks to my life line padeyes.   This is the perfect angle when the jib is unfurled, but less so when partially reefed.  I just hate to drill all those holes in my toe rail. 

The other items on the list (like installing the kerosene heater) are falling off the list.  Re-rigging the standing rigging is falling off of the list also.

Anyone have any suggestions on the dodger / bimini? 

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Dodger Bimini. I don't know that you need a KIT. Sailrite sells a CD with instructions on making the canvas part of the Bimini. Laura has made two of them and both turned out very well. She did the last one in one day. We couldn't sail down here in the summer months without the Bimini. You can see what it looks like in my gallery.

I used an EMT tubing bender to bend the frame for both biminis- aluminum tubing for the first boat and on Tehani, we have EMT electrical conduit as a temorary. It's due to be replaced this year with aluminum. Don't know if that would work for stainless.

We don't have a dodger, but we'd like one. The Bimini was far more important.

By the way- our solar panel is lashed on top of the bimini- it's a flexible panel.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Charlie-

The one reason I recommend using stainless for the dodger frame is that it is much stronger and fatigue resistant than aluminum is.  If you grab an aluminum dodger frame in the case of the boat heeling suddenly, it may give way—a stainless steel one, properly mounted would probably support you.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

LauraG

Ours is not stainless so we don't depend on it to support us. We have made sure there IS something for support. Know your boat, know it's strengths and weaknesses. There is no reason that an aluminum bimini will not do the job.

Frank

Spare NO expense !! On my dingy dodger I used 3/4in plastic plumbing pipe from Home Depot @ $1.79 for 10ft.  My sun shade is supported by the same. I don't plan to swing off either and the total $$ was less than just one SS fitting alone. I realize it's not as good...but it works fine
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AllAboutMe

S/V Faith.........go to Sailorman.com. They have used bimini's cheap that you could modify, or maybe even match to your boat .
Larry in Richmond,Va.

Anyone have any suggestions on the dodger / bimini?