Bahamas immigration: mind your "P's and Q's"

Started by s/v Faith, March 20, 2014, 09:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I love the Bahamas.

The government, like any and all has some challenges.  Policies change, and it is important to keep up with our responsibilities as guests.

When your clear in, you purchase a cruising permit that is valid for a year.  You also may get a fishing permit, but it is only valid for 90 days.  Another part of clearing in is to be granted permission to stay in the country.

It used to be common to be granted 6months when you cleared in.  Some would grant you more time if you asked.  Last year when I cleared in the first time, I was surprised to only get 90 days.  The very kind customs lady at Walker Cay told me that "only immigration officers" can grant more then 90 days.  It was no big deal since my initial entry last year was only for the trip south since I was just passing through on my way south to the Virgin Islands.

When I came back up though on my way north I was again granted 90 days.

Same thing this year.  I asked for 5 months, but the customs lady (Spanish Cay this time) said that I could get a maximum of 90 days.  She said to go into customs wherever I was and ask for an extension "shortly before my stay expired".

I went into the airport at Marsh Harbour two weeks ago and asked to extend my stay.  The man looked at my passport and said I had already exceeded my stay and would have to leave the country!  He said I could go to the administration building and talk to immigration, but he took my information and told me he was going to call them to make sure I went in.

Turns out I looked at the date wrong, and thought I had another 4 days....  Anyway, at the immigration office the lady told me that since February had 28 days she would go ahead and grant my extension, but she repeated that otherwise I would have to leave the country and come back!

This morning on the cruisers net, someone called in to say they went to the immigration office to request an extension.  They were denied, since they had 8 days left on their stay.  The immigration office reportedly told them they had to request the extension within "a week" of expiration.

Now, my point is not to stir anyone up, but let you know to make plans.  Your experience may vary, but I would recommend making plans to be somewhere 90days into your stay.. And to request the extension early (but not too early!).
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

And be NICE to them :D

The nice immigration lady who I had a very nice visit with asked me how long I wanted to be in the Bahamas? I told her as long as you'll let me ;)  She grinned and gave me 180 days.

One week later she wasn't so kind to a guy we knew who smart mouthed her- HE got 40 days!! We were in the Exumas when he realized- cost him a plane flight back to Nassau, an expensive cab ride both ways, and a plane ride back to Black Point.

Pays to be friendly
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 20, 2014, 12:09:12 PM
And be NICE to them :D .....

.....Pays to be friendly

Always!  Some folks seem for forget we are guests here.  A sense of entitlement is rarely a formula for success in such matters.  ;D

Bubba the Pirate

Grog to Charlie and Faith for "Be Nice."

A wise man once said "The self righteous are nearly always wrong."
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kettlewell

It's the same deal in most countries, including the USA. In fact, in my experience re-entering the USA is often the worst experience. Today's ludicrous security protocols means they treat you like a criminal until you can prove yourself innocent. When we went down to the SW Caribbean there were quite a few times when we heard ahead of time about how bad this or that official was and usually we had no problem. One group of officials in Panama made it so we had to pay them all overtime, but I think we made them feel terrible by serving them tea and fresh-baked cookies. Another guy protested so much he ended up in some sort of visa nightmare that meant he had to fly off to Colon to straighten things out. I always arrive at the office during working hours, cleaned up and wearing something neat and business like (usually long pants and a collared shirt), I have my papers arranged neatly in a professional briefcase or folder, and of course I shake hands, great the person warmly, and treat them in a professional manner.

Grime

It is funny how moods change when you address them by name. A yes sir or mam goes a long way.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

s/v Faith

Quote from: Kettlewell on March 23, 2014, 10:43:21 AM
It's the same deal in most countries, including the USA. In fact, in my experience re-entering the USA is often the worst experience. Today's ludicrous security protocols means they treat you like a criminal until you can prove yourself innocent. When we went down to the SW Caribbean there were quite a few times when we heard ahead of time about how bad this or that official was and usually we had no problem. One group of officials in Panama made it so we had to pay them all overtime, but I think we made them feel terrible by serving them tea and fresh-baked cookies. Another guy protested so much he ended up in some sort of visa nightmare that meant he had to fly off to Colon to straighten things out. I always arrive at the office during working hours, cleaned up and wearing something neat and business like (usually long pants and a collared shirt), I have my papers arranged neatly in a professional briefcase or folder, and of course I shake hands, great the person warmly, and treat them in a professional manner.

Excellent point.

There is pretty much only one time I wear long pants while cruising...  Whenever I go into a customs office.