News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Any Southern Californians?

Started by Skipper Dave, December 29, 2005, 07:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipper Dave

I know this site is new just wondering if any near me.  Our stomping grounds (Seas) are Catalina island, Santa Monica Bay, The Channel islands.  One of our favorite day trips is to sail down to Redondo, tie up at King Harbor Yacht Club, have lunch at Joe's Crab Shack and visit with Bob and Jody if they are in town.  The Lost Soul is completely refitted, looks like new.

--------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Zen

I am in The SF bay area, but, I used to live in Torrance, and hangout in Redondo/Hermosa beachMarina Del Ray. Also surfed Malibu
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Skipper Dave

Zen,

I have never sailed S.F. but hav heard if you can sail there you can sail anywhere.  True?  I have been told similar about the channel islands.  There were a few times when we were up there that I turned around after a couple miles out.  Much different in Marina Del Rey a lot smoother easier sailing.

-------------------------------------------------------

Zen

Skipper;

"I have never sailed S.F. but hav heard if you can sail there you can sail anywhere.  True?"

I'll be able to answer that After I have sailed eveywhere  ;D

The fact is , that maybe very well be true. We have a lot of changing conditions on the Bay. However I have only sailed it a few times, I generally sail up closer to the delta. Which is much smoother most times.

" Much different in Marina Del Rey a lot smoother easier sailing."

I have been on a S/V out of Marina Del Ray and it was a smooth ride for the most part.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

starcrest

I left california in 1993.I was in ventura channel islands and marina del rey.I am now in dania beach florida
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

captedteach

I've been to California twice - both times to the SF area IF I go back that way, I would like to see Southern CA.  TOOOO many up tight people around the Bay
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Skipper Dave

Wife and I were just talking last night about maybe a week long trip up to the Channel Islands this summer.  Take five days and just sail around Santa Cruz island stopping in our favorite anchorages.  Gotta get my windlass installed  I hate pulling up that anchor early in the morning before my coffee.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris

Learned sailing on S F bay in an old beater Mercury but have rally enjoyed sailing SoCal waters over the last 10 years. Can do the go fast thing in Hurricane Gulch off of San Pedro and there are wonderful destinations offshore. Had a slip in Redondo for a few years and have regularly anchored behind the break wall there. Very nice spot and so easy to pick up supplies etc.
The Cahnnnel Islands will be a handy shakedown destination when Badger (1963 Columbia 24) is ready to go, plenty of wind and anchoring challenges!  :D :D