News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The incredible Folkboat...

Started by DarrenC, March 26, 2014, 04:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenC

My post on the recent boats for sale thread got me wound up on folkboats, and I've been wondering why there isnt more mention of them here.

It seems they are the original sailfar boat - a bluewater vessel for the common man. With more than 4000 produced in the last 70 years not including "tribute" boats (i dislike the term knockoff) and some great documented passages plus who knows how many unrecorded adventures, itsva craft that definitely deserves some conversation i think.

So...anyone have any good folkboat stories?
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

Cyric30

Darren
Me being a land lubing newb and all, i hesitate to talk of whys, but one think i have not seen is, many of them for sale in the USA, maybe over in Europe they are like the Person boats are here, always a few for sale all the time? but just not many made it to the states?

Again i don't know but Ive looked at alot of the boats for sale and don't find many "folkboats" listed?

Quote from: DarrenC on March 26, 2014, 04:39:08 PM
My post on the recent boats for sale thread got me wound up on folkboats, and I've been wondering why there isn't more mention of them here.

It seems they are the original sailfar boat - a bluewater vessel for the common man. With more than 4000 produced in the last 70 years not including "tribute" boats (i dislike the term knockoff) and some great documented passages plus who knows how many unrecorded adventures, itsva craft that definitely deserves some conversation i think.

Tim

There are a few out here on the West Coast, but all in all not a lot around and tend to be hung onto.

http://www.sfbayfolkboats.org/classifieds.html
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Quote from: DarrenC on March 26, 2014, 04:39:08 PM

Blondie Hasler? Jester? At least 12 single hand Atlantic crossings before she was damaged. And the replica made a few more.

She has the same problem as the other versions, including the Contessa- no standing headroom. Heck of a seaboat though.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

rorik

There is buried somewhere the story of the "other" Folkboat that crossed with Jester in the first OSTAR.
And a 55 year old grandmother of 4 named Ann Gash sailed, sometimes with help, in a plywood version from Sydney, Australia to England.
I used to have both paperback copies years ago.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

DarrenC

I actually know of both those stories. Val Howells just updated and re released Sailing into Solitude about the 1960 OSTAR, and i believe Annes book is called A Star to Steer her by, although i havent read it myself.

Sailing into Solitude is pretty intense, and a refreshing perspective when you consider modern day "singlehanders" who are so inundated with technology that with the exception of trimming the sails when the computer tells them to probably dont even need to be on board at all.
s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

DarrenC

Quote from: Tim on March 26, 2014, 06:33:39 PM
There are a few out here on the West Coast, but all in all not a lot around and tend to be hung onto.

http://www.sfbayfolkboats.org/classifieds.html

Tim,

Yes, youre right in the middle of the most active fleet in this part of the world. Ive never witnessed it live, but footage of the local regattas is amazing with those folkboats fearless under full canvas in those wild conditions you get on the Bay.

s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

Captain Smollett

Quote from: DarrenC on March 27, 2014, 09:47:03 AM

Tim,

Yes, youre right in the middle of the most active fleet in this part of the world. Ive never witnessed it live, but footage of the local regattas is amazing with those folkboats fearless under full canvas in those wild conditions you get on the Bay.

Somewhere on here a while back I posted a link to a video of some huge Folkboat regatta...a championship or some such.  If I remember correctly.... ;D

Edit:  Ah, here it is, and it was the Folkboat Worlds.

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,1414.msg37608.html#msg37608

(link to video in that post, but link does not seem to be working thanks to Google changes?)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Roric....I googled Ann Gash. I had heard of her years ago and you triggered my interest. Here is a link to a tribute to her after her death. Well worth the read. Seems like she was an amazing lady!

http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazine/archive/2006_August2006_AnnGash19222006.htm
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

johnnyandjebus

No folkboat stories but if you are interested in or own a folkboat/ish type boat the book below is a must read.
http://www.amazon.com/Folkboat-Story-Classic-Renaissance-Legend/dp/157409274X

Being a contessa 26 owner I have an biased interest in the subject.

John

rorik

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....