Provisioning List: If you don't have it, you Can't eat it.

Started by starcrest, December 24, 2005, 03:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

We are in Brunswick and have had the great pleasure of spending time with James and Mei Baldwin.  We had dinner at their house yesterday, and in addition to a wonderful meal they talked about the foods they prepaired onboard.

Sorry if this came up in this thread already, but I recommend taking a look at heir 'provisoning' page on their web site.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

s/v Faith-

The link is broken... believe it should be http://atomvoyages.com/atom/recipes.htm

Good page btw, and a grog to you for reminding us of it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Bubba the Pirate

I like that whole site!   

I tried the Chinese Fish reciped before I gave my apartment this summer.   It is very good with Tilapia and Salmon.   I'm sure it would work with about any fish. 

Also, out here on the road, I am using a version of their Mung Bean Salad.   I think it is where they mention salad after several days at sea after perishables had perished.   

I can't wait for Spring.   :o)

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

s/v Faith

I have been spending a LOT of time thinking about this issue in the last couple of years.

Having effectively been cruising aboard Emerald Tide.

Cruising aboard Faith, I found I could still pack so much stuff aboard that after 9 months I was still carrying cans of food I had aboard when I left.  Some of that was overpacking, but more so not packing the right things.

Packing Emerald Tide is not so much about sustenance, but rather cost and availability.  When she departed New Bern, she carried something like 8 cases of wine, all sourced from Trader Joes.  There were at least $1500 of groceries aboard....  Prime space was given to things like sauces unavailable "out there" and things pricy like paper products.  Now, keep in mind I was buying not for my own needs but those of other people, some of whom eat very differently then I do. 

I was listening to someone talk about a trip they took the other day.  They planned to pack several cases of  tuna fish.... I like Tuna, but man what a boring diet that would be!

The nice thing, I am sure mentioned earlier in this thread....

Where ever you go, people eat!

Now, they may not eat what you like or pay what you want to pay for it...l but they eat.  Of course, like Eric said in the OP,

"If you don't have it.. You can not eat it!"
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.