News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

PVC pipe as a water tank...?

Started by CapnK, April 06, 2014, 12:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

It's time for me to make a call on water tankage - glassed in compartment, tank, bladder...or maybe, the thought occurred to me this AM, what about good old Schedule 40 PVC?

A 12" pipe holds right at 3 gallons per foot. A brief check of prices online show it to be in the same expense ballpark as a pre-made HDPE tank. Any reason why you couldn't use it?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Cyric30

mind you I'm speaking from observation, not actual doing, but PVC can also be heated and molded. the only thing i see is that most stuff on boats Are custom fitted for certain areas, so a round pipe will take up more room, but if the cost-benefit works out in its favor, why not

CharlieJ

I'm currently using two bladder tanks- one forward and one aft. The forward one is inside the old water tank.

One good thing about a bladder is you don't need a vent.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

I made a diesel tank for my heater out of 4" pvc with end caps.  I used a threaded brass hose barb for the outlet and the vent.  I drilled the hole in the end cap and tapped it, then installed the hose barb.  It has worked fine but is somewhat difficult to find a place for.  I think that a bladder would be the best way because it can fit anywhere. 
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Godot

I've heard of it done. Somewhere. Can't recall where.

Speaking from my gut, and assuming it's made for potable water, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd be uncertain about using sewer pipe (are there different grades? I don't know) just in case they used something unpleasant in it.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Cyric30

There are different thicknesses and types, IIRC gray is for electrical conduit and is UV resistant, Green is usually for waste water type applications, and white usually for portable water. the green and white will breakdown in the sun usually becoming brittle and cracking or breaking after a period of time. but i dont know how long that is :(

Quote from: Godot on April 06, 2014, 09:19:33 AM

Speaking from my gut, and assuming it's made for potable water, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd be uncertain about using sewer pipe (are there different grades? I don't know) just in case they used something unpleasant in it.

Mario G

The pvc will work fine for a water tank I ran miles of pvc water pipes when I was plumbing and even used it for air line in my bodyshop.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Quote from: Godot on April 06, 2014, 09:19:33 AM

I believe there was an article few years ago in GOB that someone made a new holding tank out of a 4'? piece of 8" PVC.

1 foot of 12" PVC- 5.87 gallons
             10" PVC- 4.08 gallons
             8" PVC- 2.61 gallons

Just be sure to use schedule 40

Bob
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

sharkbait

I had a 39 gal plastimo bladder tank , it worked out well. As far as piping I used the plastic stuff with the string woven
through it.
No wife, no kids, no debt.