Carl's Sail Calculator Relocated

Started by Captain Smollett, May 30, 2014, 09:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Some of you may have noticed that Carl's Sail Calculator links no longer work.

Carl Adler died in 2013, and his site is no longer "live."

However, Tom Dove has taken the site and is hosting it.  I think we owe Tom a big thanks for this service.

http://www.tomdove.com/sailcalc/sailcalc.html

And, please raise a glass to Carl.  I emailed him a few times with corrections and questions about data in the database, and he seemed a straight shooter to me.  His concern was not ego of running a popular sailing resource, but rather accurate data in the database.

RIP, Carl.  You'll be missed.  Fair winds on your continued journey.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Thanks. I wondered what happened. He certainly provided a great service!     RIP
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 30, 2014, 09:18:44 AM
Some of you may have noticed that Carl's Sail Calculator links no longer work.

Carl Adler died in 2013, and his site is no longer "live."

However, Tom Dove has taken the site and is hosting it.  I think we owe Tom a big thanks for this service.

http://www.tomdove.com/sailcalc/sailcalc.html

And, please raise a glass to Carl.  I emailed him a few times with corrections and questions about data in the database, and he seemed a straight shooter to me.  His concern was not ego of running a popular sailing resource, but rather accurate data in the database.

RIP, Carl.  You'll be missed.  Fair winds on your continued journey.

Great that it's continuing- would be a real shame for it to disappear. However, when you go there, the data base is empty. No boats shown at all
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 30, 2014, 10:33:47 AM

However, when you go there, the data base is empty. No boats shown at all

Hmmm.  I see the boats and looked up a boat this morning.  Seems to work fine on my end, both via laptop browser (Firefox) and Android phone.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Ok- my spam blocker was allowing the site, but blocking all the info-  :( :o
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

Good to see this useful website kept in service, and the tribute to it's author added to the page. A nice legacy.

Yes, thanks to Tom for taking over and hosting it.