Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by Mike, June 05, 2014, 12:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hi All,

I am a 28 year old graphic designer and live on the East End of Long Island (NY)

Finally joined this great forum, after being a lurker for years and years. Always enjoy the great discussions going on... The impetus being that I am about to embark on some major projects/repairs to my 1964 Pearson Commander that I think everyone here will be interested in seeing as I progress and hopefully some of you will be able to help me out along the way :) ... I am not a woodworker, mechanic, or any other sort of skilled craftsman, so I will be learning as I go. Get ready to watch a train crash in slow motion...

When I bought her in 2011, I knew she had some soft spots and that a partial recore would be in the future. I sailed her for a season anyway, since she was already in the water when I got her. Since that first season she has been sitting on the hard at my parents house. I had planned on doing the repairs then, but as you all know, life tends to get in the way. Now after getting married and buying my first home, I finally have the time, money, and will to get to it!

This past weekend I had the boat moved from the side of the house to the driveway, which should be more conducive to working on her.

I am looking forward to contributing here as I definitely lean towards the KISS/Sailfar mentality when it comes to sailing.

Captain Smollett

Welcome aboard sailfar!

Look forward to seeing your boat restored to you liking and reading about your adventures.

One question: Whereabouts are you located?  US East Coast, West Coast, elsewhere?  Don't have to be too specific if you don't want...not trying to be nosy, just wondering about your home waters.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Mike

Quote from: Captain Smollett on June 05, 2014, 01:13:09 PM
Welcome aboard sailfar!

Look forward to seeing your boat restored to you liking and reading about your adventures.

One question: Whereabouts are you located?  US East Coast, West Coast, elsewhere?  Don't have to be too specific if you don't want...not trying to be nosy, just wondering about your home waters.

Thanks!

As for my home waters (I also updated my above post) I am on the North Fork of Long Island. When my boat was in the water I sailed mainly in the Peconic Bay...

CharlieJ

Welcome to SailFar. The Commander is a good  looking sailboat. Good luck with the re work.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: Mike on June 05, 2014, 12:58:29 PM
Hi All,
Welcome, Mike. fine boat. I've always admired the Commander. there are certainly times when taking a group sailing, that it's nice to have so much room for people to spread out... I understand that Carl Alberg's personal boat was also a Commander, so must have also suited his purposes well. 

I had planned on doing the repairs then, but as you all know, life tends to get in the way. 
Ain't that the truth!

This past weekend I had the boat moved from the side of the house to the driveway, which should be more conducive to working on her.
That's just what I was planning to do with the Corinthian, too. Figure that if I put it in the way, it will be harder to ignore it... ;)

Mike

Thanks for the many welcomes!

@ Jim - turns out my first boat (the one right before my current) was a Bristol Corinthian. I loved that boat, and had completely re-built the interior of mine and then sailed her for a season, but ended up selling and getting the commander so I could take more people out. Definitely have a thing for Alberg designs. Classic and salty for the right price!

Picture of when I had both at the same time below! :)

Jim_ME

Quote from: Mike on June 06, 2014, 08:47:16 AM
turns out my first boat was a Bristol Corinthian. I loved that boat, and had completely re-built the interior of mine and then sailed her for a season
Cool to see the photo of the Alberg boats in transition there.

I haven't sailed the Corinthian yet, but if all goes well, I look forward to getting her in this season. I did own a Cape Dory Typhoon for about 12 years, and had a great time with that boat. If I have a chance, I wouldn't mind trading the Corinthian for another Typhoon, to reduce the weight by the 700 pound difference, since I would be trailering the boat, possibly several times a season. Also like the Ty's enclosed self bailing cockpit, since it would be on a mooring here, although I have heard positive things about the Corinthian's deeper (non-self-bailing) cockpit. Anyway, they both seem like great designs.

Sea Rover

Welcome Mike, that's a nice looking boat/project you have there. Gotta love those Alberg designs. I'm looking forward to reading about the progress on it.
Cape Dory 30 Ketch, Innamorato.
My blog: www.searover.net

Mike

Thanks All!

Spent a day cleaning out the commander this past weekend so I can start on the renovation. There seems to be a lot of mold growing on the inside, which means lots of moisture. Anyone have good mold removal techniques? I know a good mask is a must for this. Going to spend some time this weekend killing the mold before I begin sanding off the interior paint. Also going to pick up some lumber to build a temporary structure over her to keep her dry while I work. She is tarped now, but its a pain to take the tarp on and off every time I do anything.

@Jim - Yeah the non-self bailing cockpit was probably the only thing I did not like about the corinthian. I have seen some versions for sale that have fiberglass cockpits and that self bail, but I guess those were produced later than the originals. Also, I was not trailering her so the weight was not a detractor, but an asset for me :) Goodluck getting her ready for the water!

Jim_ME

Quote from: Mike on June 13, 2014, 09:25:14 AM
Anyone have good mold removal techniques? I know a good mask is a must for this.
Diluted bleach applied with a spray bottle. I also found a spray cleaner "with bleach" on the label and used that too. Agree that a mask is a good idea.

...I have seen some versions for sale that have fiberglass cockpits and that self bail, but I guess those were produced later than the originals.
I just saw an ad for one of these on CL, a 1978 called "Series II" with the large Bristol style fiberglass winch bases. the first one that I've see or heard about. [I would post a link to the ad, but it has been deleted] 

Also, I was not trailering her so the weight was not a detractor, but an asset for me :)
Yep, that additional 700 pounds for that additional 1 foot LOA, when added to the weight of the trailer and gear (taking the total weight from maybe 2800 lbs to 3500 lbs) is quite a jump for a trailer-sailer (for me at least). I do also like the Corinthian's outboard well (with plug) at the aft end of the cockpit over the Typhoon's bracket over the transom. Although that bronze bracket and a 30-lb 3.5 hp outboard (together) are fairly easy to remove and store below.

Goodluck getting her ready for the water!
Thank you, and good luck with your work on your Commander, too!  :)